I am proud to announce that A.1112-A/S.2139-B, legislation I authored, was passed by the New York State Assembly this week. The bill would authorize the issuance of distinctive license plates to veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars or their spouses, bearing the words “Veteran of the Iraq War” or “Veteran of the Afghanistan War.”
The veterans of these two wars deserve the same type of recognition as those who fought in World War II, Korea or Vietnam. They have taken the same risks and made the same great sacrifices to help keep us safe and provide us with the freedoms we enjoy. We should be proud of them and seek to acknowledge them in any way we can.
Sue Serino (R-41) sponsored the bill in the Senate.
Dear friends and neighbors,
Can you believe it’s already the last weekend in January? Weren’t we just celebrating New Year’s Eve? Well, the weeks are flying by and with each passing weekend there are more new and exciting events to enjoy in the cities, towns and villages of the 88th Assembly District.
Here’s a closer look at some of the events that are taking place in the 88th. Have a good weekend and remember that if you have an event you’d like me to include in the coming weeks, send the information to Paulina@NYAssembly.gov.
- The Westchester Italian Cultural Center (One Generoso Pope Place, Tuckahoe) will present the film “My Italian Secret”, the story of brave Italians who defied Mussolini’s government as well as the Nazis to hide and aid Jews during World War II, at 7 p.m. Visit wiccny.org for more information.
Tony Angiulo (r.) and Alvin Clayton
- The Iona College Council on the Arts will host an opening reception for “A Thousand Words, When Art and Poetry Speak” from 6-8 p.m. at The Brother Kenneth Chapman Gallery (665 North Avenue, New Rochelle). Call 914-637-7796 for more information.
- Guitarist Tony Angiulo will perform at Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) at 7 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The Westchester County Cheerleading Invitational, which begins Wednesday at the Westchester County Center in White Plains, will conclude at 4 p.m. Visit countycenter.biz for more information.
- The Scarsdale Forum will be having a membership meeting at the Scarsdale Library (54 Olmstead Road, Scarsdale) from 7:30-9:30 p.m. Visit scarsdalelibrary.org for more information.
- The Victor LaGamma Trio will perform at Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) at 7 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
The Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow Lighthouse
- The Westchesterestchester Knicks of the NBA Developmental League will host the Raptors 905 at The Westchester County Center in White Plains at 7 p.m. Visit countycenter.biz for more information.
- The Chocolate Box Café (300-A Columbus Avenue, Tuckahoe) will have a ribbon-cutting party at 5:30 p.m. There will be samples of European hot chocolate, ganache and food from the dinner and lunch menus. Call 914-714-0677 for more information.
- The Tuckahoe Library will present “Lighthouses on the Hudson” at the Tuckahoe Library (71 Columbus Avenue, Tuckahoe) at 2 p.m. Scott Craven, an American history teacher at the Ossining Teacher Center, has studied and lectured about the Hudson River Valley for more than a decade. Visit www.com/library for more information.
- The Older American Act Advisory Council and Senior Council Legislative Breakfast will take place at The Westchester County Center in White Plains at 9 a.m. Visit westchestergov.com for more information.
- The India Center of Westchester will host a Republic Day Celebration at White Plains High School (550 North Street, White Plains) from noon-5 p.m. There will be music, dancing, food and more. Visit indiacenter.us for more information.
- The Ballet for Young Audiences will perform Cinderella at the White Plains Performing Arts Center (11 City Place, White Plains) at 1 and 4 p.m. Visit wppac.com for more information.
The Ballet For Young Audiences
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum (895 Shore Road, Pelham Bay Park) will host “Container Gardening and Raised Beds” with the museum’s garden manager Lauren Gill at 11 a.m. Visit bartowpellmansionmuseum.org for more information.
- The Playgroup Theatre (One North Broadway, White Plains) will present “Romeo and Juliet” at 8 p.m. and again Sunday at 2 p.m. Visit playgroup.org for more information.
- Beth-El Synagogue Center (1324 North Avenue, New Rochelle) will host a Casino Night at 7:30. There will be an open bar, casino games, raffles and more. Visit bethelnr.org/casinonight for more information.
- The Leslie Pintchik Trio will perform at Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) at 7:30 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The New Symphony of Westchester will perform at New York Presbyterian Hospital’s Westchester Division (21 Bloomingdale Road, White Plains) at 2 p.m. Visit newsymphony.org for more information.
- The Westchester Knicks of the NBA Developmental League will host the Grand Rapids Drive at The Westchester County Center in White Plains at 5 p.m. Visit countycenter.biz for more information.
- Temple Israel of New Rochelle (1000 Pinebrook Boulevard, New Rochelle) will host Rock Night 3 with performances by bands The Leighton Brothers and Tumbleweed Connection beginning at 7:30 p.m. Visit tinr.org for more information.
- The Hoff-Barthelson Music School will continue its Artist Series when violinist and composer Elektra Kurtis-Stewart performs in a 5 p.m. concert at the Greenville Community Church (270 Ardsley Road, Scarsdale). Visit hbms.org for more information.
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum (895 Shore Road, Pelham Bay Park) will host a Nature Conservancy Walk and Talk through Pelham Bay Park. Ecologist Helen Forgione will lead the talk and tour. Visit bartowpellmansionmuseum.org for more information.
- The Women’s Club of White Plains (305 Ridgeway, White Plains) will host a Winter Tea from 2-4 p.m. Helen Darling, a 50-year member and past president, will be honored. Visit womansclubofwhiteplains.org for more information.
- The Community Unitarian Universalist Congregation (468 Rosedale Avenue, White Plains) will host a Chamber and Vocal Concert at 1 p.m. Visit cucwp.org for more information.
- The Westchester Toy and Train Show will take place at The Westchester County Center in White Plains from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Visit countycenter.biz for more information.
- The Westchester Chapter of the Archeological Institute of America will present “Fruits of the Silk Road” at the Scarsdale Library (54 Olmstead Road, Scarsdale) at 2 p.m. New York University professor Robert Spengler will lead the discussion. Visit scarsdalelibrary.org for more information.
- The Eastchester Library (11 Oakridge Place, Eastchester) will continue its EPL Film Series when it shows “Cool Hand Luke”, starring Paul Newman, at 1:30 p.m. Visit eastchesterlibrary.org for more information.
- The Bronxville Library (201 Pondfield Road, Bronxville) will present “Intro to Opera”, a family friendly opera course, at 2 p.m. Visit bronxvillelibrary.org for more information.
For information about these and other events in our area, please visit http://www.burbio.com/lists/district-88-events.