Dear friends and neighbors,
The first weekend of August is upon us and though it seems like the end of summer is in sight there is still plenty of time to enjoy the beautiful weather and exciting happenings in the cities, towns and villages of the 88th Assembly District.
Here’s a closer look at some of the events that are taking place in the 88th. Have a good weekend and remember that if you have an event that you’d like me to include in the coming weeks, send the information to Paulina@NYAssembly.gov.
- The Westchester Chess Club will meet at The Trinity Lutheran Church (25 Crane Road, Scarsdale) at 7:30 p.m. Visit westchesterchessclub.com for more information.
- The Westchester Band, under the direction of Alan Hollander, will continue to celebrate its 48th season with a concert in Chase Park (32 Chase Road, Scarsdale) at 8 p.m. Visit westchesterband.org for more information.
- The White Plains Noon Day Concert Series continues at Renaissance Plaza (Main Street and Mamaroneck Avenue) from noon-2 p.m. Larry Stevens will perform classic rock and pop standards. Visit cityofwhiteplains.com for more information.
- The City of White Plains will host The Summer Concert Series in the Courtyard on City Place from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Akie Bermiss will perform. Visit wpbid.com for more information.
- New Rochelle Downtown BID continues its “Music on the Green” series at 7 p.m. in Ruby Dee Park (1 Library Plaza, New Rochelle). The Wali Ali Band will perform. Visit newrochelledowntown.com for more information.
- The Westchester County Department of Senior Programs and Services will host a guidance program on county services for seniors at the Scarsdale Library (54 Olmstead Road, Scarsdale) from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Visit scarsdalelibrary.org for more information.
- Temple Beth-El (1324 North Avenue, New Rochelle) will show “Brothers” at 7:30 p.m. as part of its Summer Israel Film Series. It’s the story of two brothers struggling to come to terms with their political and religious beliefs. Visit bethenr.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle Public Library (1 Library Plaza, New Rochelle) will host the Friends BIG SUMMER Book Sale on Thursday and Friday at 10 a.m. Visit nrpl.org for more information.
- Laurie Gelman will hold a reading and book signing from her novel “Class Mom” at Athleta (700 White Plains Road, Scarsdale). The book is the story of a woman who spent a year as a class mom for kindergarten. Call 914-723-0961 for more information.
- The New Rochelle Down to Earth Farmer’s Market will take place at Huguenot Park at the corner of North Avenue and Eastchester Road at 8:30 a.m. and will stay open until 2:30 p.m. There will be produce, baked goods, cheese and more. Visit downtoearthmarkets.com for more information.
- The New Rochelle Council on the Arts will host Friday Night Live at the Hudson Park Bandshell (2-54 Wildcliff Road, New Rochelle) at 7:30 p.m. Kat Boyd and the Acts of Faith are scheduled to perform. Visit newrochelleny.com for more information.
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum (895 Shore Road, Pelham Bay Park) will host its “First Friday, Music Trolley” program from 5:30-8:30 p.m. Pianist and vocalist Lindsay Brooke will perform and the trolley will make hourly trips from Pelham Bay Park to City Island and back. Visit bartowpellmansionmuseum.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle Grand Market Downtown will take place at 1 Library Plaza at 9 a.m. The market, which will remain open until 2 p.m., will feature fresh produce, baked goods, honey, crafts and more. Visit newrochelledowntown.com for more information.
- The Bronxville Farmer’s Market will take place at Stone Place and Paxton Avenue from 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Visit bronxvilleframersmarket.com for more information.
- The Pelham Art Center (155 Fifth Avenue, Pelham) will host “Knitting for Beginners”, a program for adults and teens, from 2-4 p.m. Visit pelhamartcenter.org for more information.
- The St. Paul’s Church and National Historic Site (897 South Columbus Avenue, Mount Vernon) will host Daniel Conant at 1 p.m. as he performs a classical guitar concert. Visit nps.gov/sapa for more information.
- The Westchester County Sand Castle Competition will take place at Glen Island Beach (1 Pelham Road, New Rochelle) from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Visit westchestergov.com for more information.
- The Lincoln Park Community Garden (Lincoln Avenue, New Rochelle) will host Yoga in the Garden with Yogi Ashley at 10 a.m. Visit newrochelleny.com for more information.
- The “Cook by the Book” Book Club will meet at the New Rochelle Library (1 Library Plaza, New Rochelle) at noon. Share recipes, samples and more. Visit nrpl.org for more information.
- The Tuckahoe Farmer’s Market will take place in Depot Square. The market is open every Sunday through the end of November from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Visit tuckahoe.com for more information.
- The Eastchester Farmer’s Market will take place in the parking lot of Country Markets of Westchester (344 White Plains Road, Eastchester) from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. The Farmer’s Market will run through mid-October. Visit facebook.com/EastchesterFarmersMarket for more information.
- Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) will host a Sunday Jazz Brunch from 11:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
Please visit www.burbio.com/lists/district-88-events for more information about these and other area events.