Dear friends and neighbors,
I’d like to wish a happy and sweet New Year to everyone who is celebrating Rosh Hashanah. Enjoy the holiday and all the things there are to do and see in the 88th Assembly District.
Here’s a closer look at some of the events that are taking place. Have a good weekend and remember that if you have an event that you’d like me to include in the coming weeks, send the information to Paulina@NYAssembly.gov.
- The Westchester Chess Club will meet at The Trinity Lutheran Church (25 Crane Road, Scarsdale) at 7:30 p.m. Visit westchesterchessclub.com for more information.
- The Westchester County Department of Senior Programs and Services will host a guidance program on county services for seniors at the Scarsdale Library (54 Olmstead Road, Scarsdale) from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Visit scarsdalelibrary.org for more information.
- The Scarsdale Farmer’s Market will make its debut from noon-7 p.m. in Boniface Circle (Scarsdale). This is a pilot program expected to last six to eight weeks. Contact Susan Douglass at email@example.com for more information.
- Author Stephen O’Connor will discuss Franz Kafka’s “A Country Doctor” at Sarah Lawrence College (1 Mead Way, Bronxville) at 2 p.m. Visit sarahlawrence.edu for more information.
- The Westchester Italian Cultural Center (1 Generoso Pope place, Tuckahoe) Film Series will highlight actress Sophia Loren in Arabesque at 7:30 p.m. Visit wiccny.org for more information.
- The Bronxville Library (201 Pondfield Road, Bronxville) will continue its Thursday Movie Matinee Series with a 1:30 p.m. showing of “Going in Style” starring Morgan Freeman, Alan Arkin and Michael Caine. Visit bronxvillelibrary.org for more information.
- Yan Kjar will man the piano bar at Underhill’s Crossing (74.5 Pondfield Road, Bronxville) from 7-11 p.m. Visit underhillscrossing.com for more information.
- The Westchester Clubmen will celebrate their 58th anniversary with a 6:30 p.m. gala at The Surf Club (280 Davenport Avenue, New Rochelle). Visit westchesterclubmen.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle Down to Earth Farmer’s Market will take place at Huguenot Park at the corner of North Avenue and Eastchester Road at 8:30 a.m. and will stay open until 2:30 p.m. There will be produce, baked goods, cheese and more. Visit downtoearthmarkets.com for more information.
- The Bartow-BartowPell Mansion Museum (895 Shore Road, Pelham Bay Park) will host a Fall Cocktail Party and Celebration in honor of the new floor covering in the entrance hall at 6:30 p.m. Visit bartowpellmansionmuseum.org for more information.
- The Generoso Pope Foundation will host The St. Pio Feast and Music Festival in Tuckahoe’s Depot Square beginning at 6 p.m. The festival will also run throughout the weekend until 7 p.m. on Sunday. There will be live music, Italian entertainment and food plus much more. Visit tuckahoe.com for more information.
- The Eastchester Historical Society will host “An Evening with Marquis de Lafayette” on the lawn of The Marble School House (390 California Road, Bronxville) at 6:30 p.m. There will be cocktails, a dinner. Visit
eastchesterhistoricalsociety.org for more information.
- Jazz pianist Dinah Vero will perform at Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) from 7-10:30 p.m. The Rob Garris Birthday Bash will also take place from 10:30-11:45 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- Dannis Winston will man the piano bar at Underhill’s Crossing (74.5 Pondfield Road, Bronxville) from 8 p.m.-midnight. Visit underhillscrossing.com for more information.
- The WESTCOP Night of Champions will take place from 7 p.m.-midnight at the Holy Trinity Greek Church (10 Mill Road, New Rochelle). Charlene Blackwood, Annie Blay, Alvin Clayton, Gwen Clayton, Pamela Davis, Dr. Ralph Essien, Rev. Allan Paul Weaver and Carla Woolbright will be honored. Contact Benita Hamlett 914-636-3050 or Angela Farrish 914-636-7050 ext. 201 firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Friday is Car Free Day in the Hudson Valley. Leave your car home and join the worldwide movement to celebrate sustainable transportation on Car Free Day. Visit hudsonvalleycarfreeday.com for more information.
- The New Rochelle Grand Market Downtown will take place at 1 Library Plaza at 9 a.m. The market, which will remain open until 2 p.m., will feature fresh produce, baked goods, honey, crafts and more. Visit newrochelledowntown.com for more information.
- The Bronxville Farmer’s Market will take place at Stone Place and Paxton Avenue from 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Visit bronxvillefarmersmarket.com for more information.
- The Lincoln Park Community Garden (Lincoln Avenue, New Rochelle) will host Yoga in the Garden with Yogi Ashley at 10 a.m. Visit newrochelleny.com for more information.
- The St. Paul’s Church and National Historic Site (897 South Columbus Avenue, Mount Vernon) will host jazz flutist Eric Thomas for a 1 p.m. concert. Visit nps.gov/sapa for more information.
- New Rochelle’s second annual REALLY BIG RELAY will take place at The New Rochelle YMCA (50 Weyman Avenue, New Rochelle) pool from 10 a.m.-noon. This year’s event will benefit the Y’s Annual Support Campaign, which provides program scholarships for children and their families. Visit nrymca.org for more information.
- GirlAgain (4 Martine Avenue, White Plains) will host “GirlAgain Doll Lunchbox” at 11 a.m. Help your child prepare their doll for the new school year with its own lunchbox. Decorate it and a water bottle to show off her style and craft lunch
food items for your doll to enjoy. Visit girlagain.com for more information.
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum (895 Shore Road, Pelham bay Park) will participate in Smithsonian Day Live, a nationwide program offering free admission to museums for the day. There will be guided tours of the mansion, the grounds and the carriage house. Tickets can be downloaded at smithsonianmag.com/museumday.
- The Saxon Woods Garage Sale will take place at The Saxon Woods Pool (1800 Mamaroneck Avenue, White Plains) from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Visit westchestergov.com for more information.
- The Leslie Pintchik Trio will perform at Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) from 7:30-10:30 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The White Plains Performing Arts Center (11 City Place, White Plains) will present Story Pirates, a nationally respected media and education organization celebrating the words and ideas of young people at 2 p.m. Visit wppac.com for more information.
- The Christopher Brown Band will perform at Growlers Beer Bistro (25 Main Street, Tuckahoe) at 9:30 p.m. Visit growlersbeerbistro.com for more information.
- The Eastchester Farmer’s Market will take place in the parking lot of Country Markets of Westchester (344 White Plains Road, Eastchester) from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. The Farmer’s Market will run through mid-October. Visit facebook.com/EastchesterFarmersMarket for more information.
- Bicycle Sundays return to the Bronx River Parkway from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. between the Westchester County Center in White Plains and Scarsdale Road in Yonkers. The 13.1 mile loop will be open to bikers and closed to car traffic. Visit westchestergov.com for more information.
- The Westchester Reform Temple (255 Mamaroneck Road, Scarsdale) will host The Jewish Learning Lab Alzheimer’s Walk at SUNY Purchase (735 Anderson Hill Road, Purchase) beginning with a 9-a.m. registration. Visit wrtemple.org for more information.
- The Eastchester 5K Run/Walk will kick off at Eastchester Town Hall (40 Mill Road, Eastchester) at 9 a.m. Proceeds will benefit the Eastchester Historical Society Restoration Fund and the Tuckahoe/Eastchester Girl Scout Cabin Fund. Visit runsignup.com/Race/NY/Eastchester/Eastchester5k for more information.
- The New Rochelle Public Library (1 Library Plaza, New Rochelle) will present the Tutti Bravi Production of “Anne Hutchinson: A Musical Drama” at 3 p.m. Visit tuttibraviproductions.org for more information.
- Cabaret artist Diana Templeton will perform at the Bronxville Library (201 Pondfield Avenue, Bronxville) at 3 p.m. Visit bronxvillelibrary.org for more information.
- The Garth Road Inn (96 Garth Road, Scarsdale) will have a live Irish music session from 6-8 p.m. Visit garthroadinn.com for more information.
- Barnes & Noble (680 Post Road, Scarsdale) will host a “Local Authors Festival” from noon- 4 p.m. More than 30 local authors will have an opportunity to discuss and promote their published books. Call 914-472-0689 for more information.
- Katya Grineva will man the piano bar at Underhill’s Crossing (74.5 Pondfield Road, Bronxville) from 5-9 p.m. Visit underhillscrossing.com for more information.
- The Manor Club (1023 Esplanade, Pelham Manor) will hold a jazz brunch featuring a performance by Chris Brown at 11:30 a.m. Visit themanorclubofpelham.org for more information.
Please visit www.burbio.com/lists/district-88-events for more information about these and other area events.