Dear friends and neighbors,
The spring weather has finally arrived so take the time this weekend to get out and enjoy the warmer temperatures while exploring all the wonderful things the cities, towns and villages of the 88th Assembly District have to offer. There is music, movies, discussions, shows and much more.
Here’s a closer look at some of the events that are taking place in the 88th. Have a good weekend and remember that if you have an event you’d like me to include in the coming weeks, send the information to Paulina@Assembly.State.NY.US.
- The Westchester County Domestic Violence Council will meet in the Probation Conference Room on the seventh floor of the County Courthouse from 12:30-2 p.m. Visit westchestergov.com for more information.
- The Allstate Readiness Teen Driver Workshop will take place at the White Plains Library (100 Martine Avenue, White Plains) from 5-8 p.m. Teens can learn safe driving tips from certified driving instructor Jim Fatigate while earning one hour of community service credit for attending. Visit westchestergov.com for more information.
- The Hoff-Barthelson Music School (25 School Lane, Scarsdale) will host performances at 6:15 and 8 p.m. on Thursday and Friday, featuring faculty and student solos as well as ensembles as part of “Celebration 2016: T Music of Our Time”, the school’s 27th annual festival of contemporary music. There will also be performances on Saturday at 2:00, 4:00 and 8:00 p.m. Visit hbms.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle Opera’s 31st Anniversary Spring Gala will take place at The Fountainhead (55 Quaker Ridge Road, New Rochelle) from 6:30-10 p.m. Visit nropera.org for more information.
- The Scarsdale Edgemont Family Counseling Service will honor Emily Vallario and Margaret Smith at “Starry Night”, its annual benefit gala. The festivities will take place at Scarsdale Golf Club (Club Way, Hartsdale) at 6:30 p.m. Visit sfcsinc.org for more information.
- I will be speaking at the Westchester County Association advocacy event at WCA headquarters (1133 Westchester Avenue, White Plains) at 8 a.m. Visit westchester.org for more information.
- Hyatt Playground in Scarsdale (167 Scarsdale Boulevard) will be the site of “Parties in the Park” from 6-8 p.m. Celebrate the park’s grand re-opening with balloon animals, face painting, ice cream and more. Visit scarsdale.com for more information.
- Mount Vernon resident Peter Lawrence will perform jazz, swing and bounce standards at the St. Paul’s National Church Historic Site (897 S. Columbus Avenue, Mt. Vernon) at 3 p.m. Visit nps.gov/sapa for more information.
- Actress Cicely Tyson, Academy-Award winning director Paul Haggis and Pelham Picture House board member Eric Salmeron will be honored at the Pelham Picture House Spring Soiree at the Hampshire Club (1025 Cove Road, Mamaroneck) at 7 p.m. Visit thepicturehouse.org for more information.
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum will (895 Shore Road, Pelham Bay Park) will host a mansion and cottage trolley tour of historic homes and gardens from 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Visit bartowpellmansionmuseum.org for more information.
- The Bronxville Women’s Club (135 Midland Avenue, Bronxville) will hold its annual Literature Section Picnic Luncheon and Book Discussion at noon. The book being discussed is “The House I Loved” by Tatiana de Rosnay. Visit bronxvillewomensclub.org for more information.
- Jazz pianist Onaje Allan Gumbs will perform at Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle)from 7-10:30 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The New Rochelle High School Chorale will host Outdoor Movie Night at the high school (265 Clove Road, New Rochelle). The movie “Inside Out” will be shown on the front baseball field at 7:30 p.m. Call the school at 914-576-5634 for more information.
- Sarah Lawrence College (1 Mead Way, Bronxville) will present its “Senior Filmmaking Showcase” from 5:30-9 p.m. Senior film students will showcase their final films. Visit sarahlawrence.edu for more information.
- The Consulate General of México will be processing passports, consular IDs and birth certificates at the White Plains Library (100 Martine Avenue, White Plains) between 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. Visit whiteplainslibrary.org for more information.
- The Westchester County Mobile Shredder will be in Scarsdale at the Scarsdale DPW Yard (110 Secore Road) from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Visit environment.westchestergov.com/mobile-shredder for more information.
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum (895 Shore Road, Pelham Bay Park) will celebrate Bronx Week with guided tours of the mansion from noon-4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Visit bartowpellmansionmuseum.org for more information.
- Young Israel of Scarsdale (1313 Weaver Street, Scarsdale) and the UJA Federation of New York will present “Israel: The Jewish-Democratic Challenge” with special guest speaker Dr. Ruth Calderon at 9 a.m. Visit ujafedny.org/yis-luncheon for more information.
- The Leslie Pintchik Trio will perform at Alvin& Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) from 7:30-11 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The Junior League of Central Westchester will hold a tag sale from 8 a.m.-2 p.m. at Wayside Cottage (1039 Post Road, Scarsdale). Visit jlcentralwestchester.org for more information.
- The Pelham Arts Center (155 Fifth Avenue, Pelham) will host the Middle Eastern Folk Arts Event from 2-4 p.m. Visit pelhamartscenter.org for more information.
- The Walkabout Clearwater Coffeehouse will host folk singer/songwriter Vance Gilbert in a 7:30 p.m. concert at Memorial United Methodist Church (250 Bryant Avenue, White Plains). Visit walkaboutclearwater.org for more information.
- The St. Thomas Orchestra Spring Concert will take place at White Plains High School (550 North Street, White Plains) at 7:30 p.m. This year’s theme is a “Shakespeare Celebration”. Visit storchestra.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle Public Library (1 Library Plaza, New Rochelle) will preview the film “To Begin The World Over Again: The Life of Thomas Paine” at 3 p.m. Visit nrpl.org for more information.
- The First Baptist Church of White Plains (456 North Street, White Plains) will host “Dinner and a Movie Night” from 5-8:30 p.m. Visit firstbaptistwhiteplains.org for more information.
- The Board of Mission of Bethesda Baptist Church of New Rochelle (71 Lincoln Avenue, New Rochelle) will host a presentation entitled “Journey to South Africa” from 10 a.m.-noon. Visit bethesdabaptistny.org for more information.
- The Scarsdale Congregational Church (1 Heathcote Road, Scarsdale) will hold a garage sale from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Visit scc-ucc.org for more information.
- The Arthur Manor Neighborhood Association will host a tag sale at Davis Park (Bradley Road, Scarsdale) from 10 a.m.- 3p.m. The rain date is Sunday. Contact Kate Nanke-Porco at email@example.com for more information.
- Helaine Fendelman, a nationally recognized author and appraiser, will be at the Scarsdale Library (54 Olmstead Road, Scarsdale) from 1-3 p.m. to provide free appraisals on art, antiques and collectibles. Visit scarsdalelibrary.org for more information.
- The Oasis Shelter Fundraiser/Tag Sale will take place on Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at the Martin Luther King Center (95 Lincoln Avenue, New Rochelle). Call 914-500-9194 for more information.
- Bicycle Sundays are back on the Bronx River Parkway. The BRP will be open to cyclists and pedestrian traffic between the County Center in White Plains and Scarsdale Road in Yonkers between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Visit westchestergov.com for more information.
- The White Plains Friends of the Library Annual Meeting will take place at the library (100 Martine Avenue) from 2-4 p.m. Susan Gordon, author of “Because of Eva: A Jewish Genealogical Journey” will be the featured speaker. Visit whiteplainslibrary.org for more information.
- The Pelham Picture House (175 Wolfs Lane, Pelham) will present “Science on the Screen”, a film about baseball and the science surrounding it. Director Jonathan Hock will be available for discussion after the 4 p.m. show. Visit thepicturehouse.org for more information.
- The Play Group Theatre (One North Broadway, White Plains) will present “Hands on a Hardbody: A New Musical Made in America” with shows at 2 and 7 p.m. Visit playgroup.org for more information.
- The Scarsdale-based Hoff-Barthelson Music School will present “Celebration 2016: The Music of Our Time” as part of its 27th annual festival of contemporary music in a 7 p.m. performance at the Community Unitarian Universalist Congregation (468 Rosedale Avenue, White Plains). Visit hbms.org for more information.
- The JCC of Mid-Westchester will continue its Jews Around the World series with a look at Iran with Hazzan (Cantor) Farid Dardashti at 2 p.m. Visit jccmw.org for more information.
- Feria de los Moles, the largest Mexican food festival in the United States, will take place at 1 Library Plaza in New Rochelle from noon-6 p.m. Visit feriadelosmoles.com for more information.
- The Bronxville Library (201 Pondfield Road, Bronxville) will host a chamber music concert from 3-5 p.m. Visit bronxvillelibrary.org for more information.
- The Archeological Association of Westchester will present a lecture at the Scarsdale Library (54 Olmstead Road, Scarsdale) from 2-5 p.m. Visit scarsdalelibrary.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle Day Nursery will be holding a 120th anniversary celebration from noon-3:30 p.m. at Patsy’s (2 Pelham Road, New Rochelle). Visit newrochelledaynursery.org for more information.
For information about these and other events in our area, please visit http://www.burbio.com/lists/district-88-events.