Dear friends and neighbors,
The Columbus Day weekend is almost here so why not spend it exploring and enjoying everything the cities, towns and villages of the 88th Assembly District have to offer? There are movies, music, discussions, farmer’s markets and much more going on this weekend, providing something of interest for just about everyone.
Here’s a closer look at some of the events that are taking place in the 88th. Have a good weekend and remember that if you have an event you’d like me to include in the coming weeks, send the information to Paulina@NYAssembly.gov.
- The Sadie Robinson “Live Original” Tour, combining music, motivational speeches and audience participation, will stop at The Westchester County Center in White Plains at
7 p.m. Visit countycenter.biz for more information.
- The Westchester Italian Cultural Center (One Generoso Pope Place, Tuckahoe) will show “AUTHOR & ACTIVIST: THE DANIELA GIOSEFFI STORY”, a documentary about the acclaimed poet, at 7 p.m. Visit wiccny.org for more information.
- The After Dark Book Club will meet at the Pelham Library (530 Colonial Avenue, Pelham) to discuss “No Great Mischief” by Alistair MacLeod at 7:30 p.m. Visit pelhamlibrary.org for more information.
- The Scarsdale Forum will host a public forum and membership meeting at the Scarsdale Library (54 Olmstead Road, Scarsdale) at 7:30 p.m. All are invited. Visit scarsdaleforum.com for more information.
- Montefiore Medical Center and White Plains Hospital are combining to host a panel discussion at Bloomingdale’s (175 Bloomingdale Road, White Plains) around genetic health, the importance of a family history and breast cancer awareness from5:30-7:30 p.m. I will be moderating the discussion. Call 718-920-6786 for more information.
- The New Rochelle Down To Earth Farmer’s Market will take place from 8:30 a.m.- 2 p.m. at Huguenot Park/Twin Lakes. Visit http://tinyurl.com/jsbomn4 for more information.
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum (895 Shore Road, Pelham Bay Park) will host its “First Friday Music & Trolley” program from 5:30-8:30 p.m. Queen Esther and the Jeremy Bacon Jazz Trio will perform while the trolley will make hourly trips from the #6 Pelham Bay Park subway station. The Mansion will also host its Garden Centennial Exhibition Opening from 5-6 p.m. Visit bartowpellmansionmuseum.org for more information.
- The Bronxville Women’s Club (135 Midland Avenue, Bronxville) will hold a reception for wood-working artist Saud Omran from 7-9 p.m. Visit bronxvillewomensclub.org for more information.
- The Eastchester Columbus Day Carnival and Festival will kick off at Lake Isle Country Club (660 White Plains Road, Eastchester at 7 p.m. There will be a DJ Dance Party beginning at 8 p.m. Visit eastchestercolumbusday.bandzoogle.com for more information.
- The Picture House (175 Wolfs Lane, Pelham) will show the Stephen King thriller “The Shining” at 9:30 p.m. as part of its Friday Night Frights Series. Visit thepicturehouse.org for more information.
- The Friends of the New Rochelle Library will host a major book sale at the New Rochelle Public Library (1 Library Plaza, New Rochelle) from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. Visit nrpl.org for more information.
- The Eastchester Public Library Film series will continue at the library (11 Oakridge Place, Eastchester) with a 1:30 p.m. showing of “A League of Their Own”, starring Gina Davis and Madonna. Visit eastchesterlibrary.org for more information.
- WestCOP and New Rochelle C.A.P.’s will present “A Night of Champions” from 7 p.m.-midnight at the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church (10 Mill Road, New Rochelle). Pastor Denise Campbell, Reuben Barajes, Tkhikuma Dixon Obafemi, Dr. Tahira Chase, Dr. Angela Campbell, Dr. Linda Williams, Angela Farrish and Judie Eisenberg will be honored. Call 914-636-3050 for more information.
- The New Rochelle Downtown BID Grand Market will take place from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. on the New Rochelle Library Green. Visit newrochellegrandmarket.com for more information.
- The Bronxville Farmer’s Market will take place from 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at Stone Place and Paxton Avenue, Bronxville. Visit bronxvillefarmersmarket.com for more information.
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum (895 Shore Road, Pelham Bay Park) will host its “Fall into Fall Harvest Festival”. There will be food, music, crafts and a giant hay-bale tower. Visit bartowpellmansionmusuem.org for more information.
- The thrift shop at White Plains Presbyterian Church (39 North Broadway, White Plains) will be open from 9:30-1 p.m. All proceeds will go to local philanthropies. Visit womansclubofwhiteplains.org for more information.
- The Great Escapery, a mobile escape and mystery company, will present “The Heist” at The Westchester County Center with shows from noon-10 p.m. Visit greatescapery.com for more information.
- The Fitness Expo returns to the Westchester County Center from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Visit fitnessexpo2016.com for more information.
- The St. Paul’s Church and National Historic Site (897 S. Columbus Avenue, Mount Vernon) will host the Bob Arthur’s Jazz Trio for a 1 p.m. concert. Visit nps.gov/sapa for more information.
- The Junior League of Bronxville will host “Touch A Truck” at the Immaculate Conception Church Field (53 Winter Hill Road, Tuckahoe) from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.. Climb aboard a fire
truck and construction truck and sit inside a helicopter. Visit jlbtouchatruck.weebly.com for more information.
- The Eastchester Columbus Day Carnival and Festival continues at Lake Isle Country Club (660 White Plains Road, Eastchester) from 1-11 p.m. There will be live music, a homemade meatball contest and a homemade wine contest throughout the day. Visit eastchestercolumbusday.bandzoogle.com for more information.
- The Walkabout Clearwater Coffeehouse will host The Gaslight Tinkers and Low Lily in a double bill at the Memorial United Methodist Church (250 Bryant Avenue, White Plains) at 7:30 p.m. Visit walkaboutclearwater.org for more information.
- The Scarsdale Cookbook Club will host cookbook author and vegan specialist Victoria Moran at The Scarsdale Library (54 Olmstead Road, Scarsdale) from 2-4 p.m. She will discuss eating healthy and living compassionately. Visit scarsdalelibrary.org for more information.
- The Eastchester Library (11 Oakridge Place, Eastchester) will host 10 Westchester-based indie authors from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. for “Indie Authors” as they discuss the trials and tribulations of self-publishing. Visit eastchesterlibrary.org for more information.
- The Tuckahoe Farmer’s Market will take place from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. in Depot Square, Tuckahoe. Visit tuckahoe.com for more information.
- Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) will host “Sunday Jazz Brunch” beginning at 11:30 a.m. There will be live music and an extensive menu. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The Eastchester Columbus Day Carnival and Festival continues at Lake Isle Country Club (660 White Plains Road, Eastchester) from 1-11 p.m. There will be live music and a fireworks show by Grucci. Visit eastchestercolumbusday.bandzoogle.com for more information.
- The Eastchester Columbus Day Parade will begin at The Immaculate Conception Church (53 Winter Hill Road, Tuckahoe) at 3:30 p.m. and finish at the Lake Isle Country Club. Visit eastchestercolumbusday.bandzoogle.com for more information.
- The Hoff-Barthelson Music School (25 School Lane, Scarsdale) will hold a memorial concert for former faculty member Edmund Niemann at 2 p.m. Visit hbms.org for more information.
- Alan Schwarz, a Pulitzer Prize-nominated freelancer with The New York Times, will speak at the Scarsdale Library (54 Olmstead Road, Scarsdale) about ADHD, children, doctors and big pharma at 2 p.m. Visit scarsdalelibrary.org for more information.
- The Eastchester Library (11 Oakridge Place, Eastchester) will present the M&M Production of “The Last Romance”, a drama/comedy about the power of love. Visit eastchesterlibrary.org for more information.
- The Community Church of the Pelhams is accepting volunteers for its Westchester Habitat for Humanity project in Mount Vernon. There will be an orientation meeting and lunch at the church (448 Washington Avenue, Pelham) before heading over to the work site. Visit communitychurchofpelham.org for more information.
- The Humane Society of Westchester, located in New Rochelle, will join Pet Rescue in hosting Hounds on the Sound, a dog walk-a-thon and festival at 10 a.m. at Harbor Island Park (Mamaroneck Avenue and East Boston Post Road, Mamaroneck). There will be contests for best doggie costume, best tail-wagging and more. Visit humanesocietyofwestchester.org for more information.
For information about these and other events in our area, please visit http://www.burbio.com/lists/district-88-events.