Dear friends and neighbors,
The weather took a fall turn this week but that doesn’t mean the weekend has to be spent raking leaves and doing yard work. There are plenty of wonderful activities in the cities, towns and villages of the 88th Assembly District to keep you busy outside of the backyard.
Here’s a closer look at some of the events that are taking place in the 88th. Have a good weekend and remember that if you have an event you’d like me to include in the coming weeks, send the information to Paulina@Assembly.State.NY.US.
- The Bronxville Summer Concert Series performance will take place at 6:30 p.m. on Park Place. Andrew Cole and The Bravo Hops will be performing. Visit bronxvillechamber.com for more information.
- The Taconic Opera’s annual fundraiser will take place at 7 p.m. in the C.V. Rich Mansion (305 Ridgeway, White Plains). This year’s theme is “Opera Has a Baby”, featuring artists who will perform arias about young children. Visit taconicopera.org for more information.
- The Westchester Italian Cultural Center (24 Depot Square, Tuckahoe) will present “In Search of St. Francis”, a film about the legendary saint, at 7 p.m. Visit wiccny.org for more information.
- Alliance Francaise de Westchester (31 Mamaroneck Avenue, White Plains) will host an open house from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Visit afwestchesterny.org for more information.
- Westchester Residential Opportunities Inc. will present a Homeowners Outreach Workshop at the New Rochelle Library from 1-4:00 p.m. Workshop topics include the New York State Mortgage Assistance Program, mortgage default and delinquency counseling, foreclosure prevention counseling, transitioning counseling, load modifications and credit counseling. Call 914-428-4507, ext. 307 for more information.
- The New Rochelle Down To Earth Farmer’s Market will take place from 8:30 a.m.- 2 p.m. at Huguenot Park/Twin Lakes. Visit http://tinyurl.com/jsbomn4 for more information.
- The Eastchester Historical Society will host its annual fundraiser on the grounds of The Marble School House (388 California Road, Bronxville) at 6 p.m. This year’s theme is “Come and Meet John Adams”. Visit eastchesterhistoricalsociety.org for more information.
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion (895 Shore Road, Pelham Bay Park) will continue its Sunset Classical Concert Series at 7 p.m. when violinist Kristina Giles and harpsichordist Rebecca Pechefsky perform. Visit bartowpellmansionmuesum.org for more information.
- The Scarsdale Woman’s Club (37 Drake Road, Scarsdale) will host a Home and Garden Opening Tea at 2 p.m. Well-known gardener Kent Russell will be the featured speaker. Visit scarsdalewomansclub.org for more information.
- The Bronxville Women’s Club (135 Midland Avenue, Bronxville) brings back its Coffeehouse House Music Series with an 8 p.m. performance by singer-songwriter Judy Kass and Glen Roethel. Visit bronxvillewomensclub.org for more information.
- The Scarsdale Synagogue Temples Tremont and Emanu-El (2 Ogden Road, Scarsdale) will present “Picnic Shabbat” featuring blessing, songs, a picnic dinner, desserts, games and more. Remember to bring a blanket. Visit sstte.org for more information.
- Jazz pianist Jon Weiss and clarinet legend Sol Yaged will perform at Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) from 7-10 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The Hugh Doyle Senior Center (94 Davis Avenue, New Rochelle) will celebrate “Oktoberfest” from noon-3 p.m. with knockwurst, red cabbage, desserts and more. Visit newrochelleny.com for more information.
- The New Rochelle League of Women Voters will host a Coffee & Conversation at The New Rochelle Library from 9:30-11 a.m. with New Rochelle City Council member Ivar Hyden. Visit nrpl.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle Downtown BID Grand Market will take place from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. on the New Rochelle Library Green. Visit newrochellegrandmarket.com for more information.
- The Bronxville Farmer’s Market will take place from 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at Stone Place and Paxton Avenue, Bronxville. Visit bronxvillefarmersmarket.com for more information.
- The Westchester County Greek Youth Orchestra will be holding auditions from 5-7 p.m. Contact band director Thanos Kokkalas at email@example.com or call 347-701-6211 for more information.
- The Woman’s Club of White Plains (305 Ridgeway, White Plains) will host a furniture drive from 9 a.m.-noon to benefit Furniture Sharehouse. Visit womansclubofwhiteplains.org for more information.
- The Eastchester Community Action Partnership Advisory Council will present a “Mardi Gras Jazz and Gospel Fest” at the Bronxville Women’s Club (135 Midland Avenue, Bronxville) from 5-8 p.m. Visit bronxvillewomensclub.org for more information.
- The critically acclaimed off-Broadway hit “Blood Type Ragu” will be performed at the White Plains Performing Arts Center (11 City Place, White Plains) at 8 p.m. Visit wppac.com for more information.
- The Westchester Latin Music Festival will take place at The Westchester County Center in White Plains at 8 p.m. Visit countycenter.biz for more information.
- The Saturday Night Comedy Show will take place at the County Center in White Plains at 8 p.m. Visit countycenter.biz for more information.
- The Music Conservatory of Westchester (216 Central Avenue, White Plains) will host an open house from 9 a.m.-1 p.m.. Visit musicconservatory.org for more information.
- Jazmyn returns to Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) for a 7:30 p.m. performance. Visit alvinandfriends.com for more information.
- The Picture House (175 Wolfs Lane, Pelham) will host Picnic in the Park, a screening followed by a picnic
in the park across the street. There will be dancing as well. Visit thepicturehouse.org for more information.
- The Westchester Italian Cultural Center (24 Depot Square, Tuckahoe) will host a discussion on the Medici dynasty at 10:30 a.m. Visit wiccny.org for more information.
- The City of White Plains Youth Bureau will present “A Day of Wellness” from noon-4 p.m. on Court Street next to the Galleria. Talk to doctors, dentists and other health professionals while enjoying food and games. Visit cityofwhiteplains.com for more information.
- The New Rochelle Art Association will kick open its 101st annual Juried Exhibition at the New Rochelle Library. The show will run through Oct. 23. Visit nraaonline.org for more information.
- The Westchester County Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #9 invites everyone to set sail on a Statue of Liberty fundraising cruise that will leave from Fort Slocum Road (New Rochelle). Detective John Hynes of the Pelham Police Department can provide information about tickets etc. and can be reached at (914) 738-2000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Tuckahoe Farmer’s Market will take place from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. in Depot Square, Tuckahoe. Visit tuckahoe.com for more information.
- Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) will host “Sunday Jazz Brunch” beginning at 11:30 a.m. There will be live music and an extensive menu. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- Bicycle Sundays are back on the Bronx River Parkway. The BRP will be open to cyclists and pedestrian traffic between the County Center in White Plains and Scarsdale Road in Yonkers between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Visit westchestergov.com for more information.
- The Tuckahoe Challenge Road Race will take place at The Tuckahoe Community Center (71 Columbus Avenue, Tuckahoe). Check-in and registration begin at 7:30 a.m. There will be one-mile and 5K races, both beginning and ending at the community center. Visit tuckahoe.com for more information.
- The Eastchester Town-wide Yard Sale will take place from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Eastchester Public Library (11 Oakridge Place, Eastchester). Visit eastchester.org for more information.
- The fourth annual New Rochelle Street Fair will take place on Main Street between Centre and North Avenue from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Visit newrochelleny.com for more information.
- New Rochelle FoodFest 2016 kicks off a weeklong celebration of eating in the city. It’s an opportunity to sample the diverse and delicious culinary delights in New Rochelle. Visit newrochelleny.com/foodfest for more information.
- The Junior League of Pelham will host a prospective member informational session at 201 Highbrook Avenue, Pelham at 2 p.m. Visit jlpelham.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle Opera will present “OPERATTITUDES” in the Christopher Murphy Auditorium at Iona College (715 North Avenue) at 3 p.m. Visit nropera.org for more information.
- The eighth annual Friends of Peter C. Alderman Walk will take place at Fenway Country Club (384 Old Mamaroneck Road, White Plains) at 3 p.m. There will be a barbeque and games. Visit petercaldermanfoundation.org/events/friends-of-peter-walk/ for more information.
- The KIDS Snapper Fishing Derby will take place at Hudson Park and Beach (1 Hudson Park Road, New Rochelle) from 8 a.m.-noon. Visit newrochelleny.com for more information.
- The Bronxville Library (201 Pondfield Road, Bronxville) will kick off its annual book swap with the first of three drop-off dates. Books can be dropped off at the library between 1-4:30 p.m. and then again on Monday and Tuesday. The book swap will take place Sept. 22-24. Visit bronxvillelibrary.org for more information.
For information about these and other events in our area, please visit http://www.burbio.com/lists/district-88-events.