Dear friends and neighbors,
We’ve hit the final weekend in February and that means spring is just around the corner. Celebrate the approaching end of winter by enjoying everything the 88th Assembly District has to offer. There are plenty of shows, musical events and programs happening in our cities, towns and villages that are sure to make your weekend more enjoyable.
Here’s a closer look at some of the events that are taking place in the 88th. Have a good weekend and remember that if you have an event you’d like me to include in the coming weeks, send the information to Paulina@Assembly.State.NY.US.
- Speak with Pelham Weekly/Pelham Plus editor Maggie Klein during her Talk with Maggie Sessions in Pelham. Klein will be at Renaissance Bagel (309 Fifth Avenue) at 8:15 a.m.; at JM Café (129 Wolfs Lane) at 9:30; and Bakery at Four Corners (4668 Boston Post Road) at 10:45. Visit pelhamplus.com for more information.
- The St. Paul’s Church National Historic Site (897 S. Columbus Avenue, Mt. Vernon) will host “Love Songs for the Leap Year” at 2 p.m. It’s a special performance of popular and romantic songs by students from Sarah Lawrence College in Bronxville. Call David Osborn at 914-667-4116 for more information.
- The New Rochelle Public Library will host a “Friends Big Book Sale” from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The library will also host a League of Women Voters Coffee & Conversation with Councilman Louis Trangucci from 9:30-11 a.m. Visit nrpl.org for more information.
- The County Center in White Plains will host the Section I girls and boys basketball tournaments. Check out the best high school basketball our area has to offer. Times and teams to be determined. Visit countycenterbiz.com for more information.
- Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) will host The Onaje Allan Gumbs & Trio Plus in Roscoe’s Room from 8-11 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The White Plains Performing Arts Center (11 City Place, White Plains) will present “I’m No Romeo, Love Can Be Funny” featuring comedian Elizardi Castro. Showtime is 8 p.m. Visit wppac.com for more information.
- The drama club Stepinac High School (950 Mamaroneck Avenue, White Plains) will perform “12 Angry Men” at 7:30 p.m. at the school’s Major Bowes Auditorium. Visit stepinac.org for more information.
- A Black History Community Celebration will take place at New Rochelle High School (265 Clove Road, New Rochelle) from 4-8 p.m. There will be a spoken word and art show, vendors, performances and much more. Visit newrochellearts.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle Library will host the 20th annual performance of Bokandeye African Dance and Drums at 2 p.m. as part of its Black History Month celebration. Visit nrpl.org for more information.
- The Music Conservatory of Westchester (216 Central Avenue, White Plains) will host a Summer Music & Arts Open House from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Visit musicconservatory.org for more information.
- Rocky Middleton will perform at Alvin & Friends Restaurant in New Rochelle from 7:30-11 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The Woman’s Club of White Plains (305 Ridgeway, White Plains) will host a White Plains Blood Drive as part of its 100 Acts of Kindness celebration. The celebration marks the club’s 100th Visit www.womansclubofwhiteplains.org for more information.
- The White Plains Performing Arts Center will present “Big Pants & Hot Flashes”, starring Kevin Meaney and Julia Scotti. Showtime is 8 p.m. Visit wppac.com for more information.
- ArtsWestchester (31 Mamaroneck Avenue, White Plains) will host “An Evening of Argentine Tango” from 7-11 p.m. Visit artswestchester.org for more information.
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum (895 Shore Road, Pelham Bay Park) will host poets and performers J. Mae Barizo and Kamilah Aisha Moon as they read from their respective works. The program begins at 4:30 p.m. and includes a musical interlude. Visit bartowpellmansionmuseum.org for more information.
- The Hoff-Barthelson Music School (25 School Lane, Scarsdale) will continue its Master Class Series with a 2 p.m. performance by pianist Meng-Chieh Liu. Visit hbms.org for more information.
- The Hoff-Barthelson Music School will also present clarinetist Daniel Spitzer as part of its HB Artist Series at the Greenville Community Church (270 Ardsley Road, Scarsdale). The program begins at 5 p.m. Visit hbms.org for more information.
- Becky Shaw, a play by Gina Gionfriddo, will be performed by members of the M&M Performing Arts Company at the Eastchester Library (11 Oak Ridge Place, Eastchester). Visit mmpaci.com for more information.
- Seventeen artists will display their work in a show entitled “Collective Conscience: Love, Respect and Truth” in the New Rochelle Council on the Arts Rotunda Gallery (515 North Avenue, New Rochelle). Visit newrochellearts.org for more information.
- The Scarsdale Forum will host its Sunday Speaker Series at the Scarsdale Library (54 Olmstead Road, Scarsdale) at 3 p.m. Dr. Jacob M. Appel is this week’s guest and the topic is “Ethical Dilemmas in Modern Medicine: What Everyone Needs to Know”. Visit scarsdaleforum.com for more information.
For information about these and other events in our area, please visit http://www.burbio.com/lists/district-88-events.