Dear friends and neighbors,
It’s the final weekend before the holiday season officially begins. Thanksgiving is next week but before you begin preparing the turkey and all the fixings, enjoy what is shaping up to be a wonderful weekend in the 88th Assembly District.
Here’s a closer look at some of the events that are taking place in the 88th. Have a good weekend and remember that if you have an event you’d like me to include in the coming weeks, send the information to Paulina@NYAssembly.gov.
- The Picture House (175 Wolfs Lane, Pelham) will present a 7:30-p.m. screening of “The Lion”, the story of a boy who gets lost on a train in India and his search 25 years to find the family from which he was separated. Visit thepicturehouse.org for more information.
- The Manor Club (1023 Esplanade, Pelham Manor) will host Sydney MacInnes, the founder of Mothering Mother, as she discusses meditation, the practice of calming the body, the breath and the mind at 7:30 p.m. Visit themanorclubofpelham.org for more information.
The Sarah Lawrence College Women’s History Gerda Lerner Lecture Series will continue at the Slonim House Living Room (915 Kimball Avenue, Bronxville) from 6-8 p.m. Stony Brook University professor and author Shirley Lim will discuss the of Anna May Wong, the leading “oriental actress” of her time, and Josephine Baker, one of the great African-American entertainers. Visit sarahlawrence.edu for more information.
- Gramatan Village (85 Pondfield Road, Bronxville) will present “A New Perspective” as a way of recognizing November as National Caregiver Month. A New Perspective is a must-hear presentation for those who know or are caring for someone with memory impairment. Visit gramatanvillage.org for more information.
- Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) will host “The Vault Open Mic/Jam Session” in Roscoe’s Room at 9 p.m. Play and sing with some of the best musicians in and around Westchester. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The New Rochelle Office for the Aging will hold its annual Thanksgiving Luncheon at the Hugh Doyle Center (94 Davis Avenue, New Rochelle) from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Visit newrochelleny.com for more information.
- The Pelham Arts Center (155 Fifth Avenue, Pelham) will host an opening reception for The Craft Market Place from 6:30-8 p.m. There will be an exhibition and sale of handmade crafts. Visit pelhamartcenter.org for more information.
- The Picture House (175 Wolfs Lane, Pelham) will show “Mumford & Sons; Live from South Africa: Dust and Thunder” at 7:30 p.m. as part of November’s Music and Movie Series. Visit thepicturehouse.org for more information.
- Sarah Lawrence College’s political professor David Peritz will discuss “The Power of Populism in Today’s Politics” at 9:30 a.m. in the Esther Raushenbush Library’s Great Room (1 Mead Way, Bronxville). Visit sarahlawrence.efu for more information.
- Celebrate the release of La Fête du Beaujolais Nouveau, a popular French wine, at Alliance Francaise de Westchester (31 Mamaroneck Avenue, White Plains) from 6:30-8:30 p.m. There will be other wine and light fare served. Visit afwestchesterny.org for more information.
- The League of Women Voters will host a Coffee and Conversation with New Rochelle Commissioner of Development Luiz Aragon and Councilwoman Elizabeth Fried at the New Rochelle Library (1 Library Plaza, New Rochelle) from 9:30-11 a.m. They will discuss downtown development in New Rochelle. Visit nrpl.org for more information.
- The Friends of the Eastchester Public Library will host a tag sale at the library (11 Oakridge Place, Eastchester) from 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. The sale will continue on Sunday (1:30-4:30 p.m.) and Monday (9:30 a.m.-2 p.m.). Visit eastchesterlibrary.org for more information.
- The Junior League of Central Westchester will host its 30th annual Holiday Boutique at the Scarsdale Golf Club (Club Way, Hartsdale) from 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Visit jlwestchester.org for more information.
- Pelham High School’s (575 Colonial Avenue, Pelham) National Youth Arts Award-winning drama club will present “The Miracle Worker”, the story of Helen Keller, at 7:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and again on Sunday at 2 p.m. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle Down To Earth Farmer’s Market will take place from 8:30 a.m.- 2 p.m. at Huguenot Park/Twin Lakes. Visit http://tinyurl.com/jsbomn4 for more information.
- The Bronxville Women’s Club (135 Midland Avenue, Bronxville) will host Starnes & Shah, a folk-rock duo, as part of its Coffeehouse Music Series from 8-10:30 p.m. Visit bronxvillewomensclub.org for more information.
- New York-Presbyterian Medical Group/Westchester (685 White Plains Road, Eastchester) will provide free cancer screenings from 12:30-3:30 p.m. Call 914-787-5000 for more information or to schedule an appointment.
- Jewish educator Uri Feinberg will present “50 Days Since The Six-Day War” at the Westchester Reform Temple (255 Mamaroneck Avenue, Scarsdale) at 7:45 p.m. following services. Visit wrtemple.org for more information.
- Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) will host “Funky Friday” at 7:30 p.m. Live music will highlight Westchester’s premier after-work mixer. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- Songcatchers, a non-profit organization that provides affordable and accessible musical programs to New Rochelle’s multi-cultural population, will hold a 7:30 p.m. benefit concert at 100 Pryer Terrace, New Rochelle. Visit songcatchers.org for more information.
- The St. Thomas Orchestra will perform its fall concert at White Plains High School (550 North Street, White Plains) at 7:30 p.m. The theme is “Heroes and Romantics”. Visit storchestra.org for more information.
- The ArtsWestchester Gala 2016 will take place at The Ritz Carlton Westchester (3 Renaissance Square, White Plains) from 6:30-midnight. Visit artswestchester.org for more information.
- The Westchester County Mobile Shredder will be in Bronxville behind Village Hall on Palumbo Place from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Visit westchestergov.com for more information.
- Pelham Novel Night 2016 will be held at The New York Athletic Club from 9 p.m.-1 a.m. Proceeds from the night will benefit the Pelham Public Library. Visit pelhamnovelnight.com for more information.
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum (895 Shore Road, Pelham Bay Park) will host “Birding at Bartow” from 8:30-11 a.m. Jack Rothman, the founder of cityislandbirds.com, will lead the walk and the talk. Visit bartowpellmansionmuseum.org for more information.
- The 53rd annual New Rochelle Thanksgiving Day Parade will kick off at 8 a.m. at New Rochelle High School with the NRFund Pancake Breakfast. The parade is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. on North Avenue by the high school. Marchers must be at the parade lineup by 9:30 a.m. Visit newrochelleny.com for more information.
- The Bronxville Farmer’s Market will take place from 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at Stone Place and Paxton Avenue, Bronxville. Visit bronxvillefarmersmarket.com for more information.
- Kol Hazzanim and The Westchester Jewish Council will host a Night of Music and Joy at Beth-El Synagogue Center (1324 North Avenue, New Rochelle) at 7:30 p.m. Visit wjcouncil.org for more information.
- The Family Christian Center (592 Main Street, New Rochelle) will host “A Night of Worship with Alethia Sweeting” at 7:30 p.m. Admission is free. Visit fccnr.org for more information.
- Jazmyn will perform at Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) from 7:30-11 p.m. Visit alvinandfriednsrestaurant.com for more information.
- ArtsWestchester (31 Mamaroneck Avenue, White Plains) will continue to present “Sixty”, featuring the photographs by Hasna Muhammad, at noon. The show runs through Nov. 28. Muhammad is the daughter of Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee and this exhibition captures her thoughts on everyday life while exposing social and human condition. Visit artswestchester.org for more information.
- New York Cabaret Unlimited, the popular song and dance group, will present “Astaire Way to Paradise”, featuring music from the films of legendary dancer/actor Fred Astaire, at the New Rochelle Public Library (1 Library Plaza, New Rochelle) at 3 p.m. Visit nrpl.org for more information.
- The Manor Club of Pelham (1023 Esplanade, Pelham Manor) will present “The Art Section”, a reception and opening ceremony celebrating the water color and photography work of Carleen Murdock. Visit themanorclubofpelham.org for more information.
- The Bronxville Women’s Club (135 Midland Avenue, Bronxville) will host its annual Holiday Boutique from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Visit bronxvillewomensclub.org for more information.
- Temple Israel of New Rochelle (1000 Pinebrook Boulevard, New Rochelle)will host a Safe Driver’s Course from 9:30 a.m.- 3 p.m. Visit tinr.org/events for more information.
- Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) will host “Sunday Jazz Brunch” beginning at 11:30 a.m. There will be live music and an extensive menu. The House Coffeehouse, an open mic event for performers under the age of 21, will take place from 6-8 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
For information about these and other events in our area, please visit http://www.burbio.com/lists/district-88-events.