Dear friends and neighbors,
I was thrilled that the weather took a warm turn this week and I’m hopeful that it will stay that way into the weekend so we can all enjoy the wonderful events in the cities, towns and villages of the 88th Assembly District.
Here’s a closer look at some of the events that are taking place in the 88th. Have a good weekend and remember that if you have an event you’d like me to include in the coming weeks, send the information to Paulina@NYAssembly.gov.
- Singer, guitarist and composer Sam Friend will perform in the Roscoe Room at Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) from 8-11 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- Dancing With Our Stars, sponsored by It Takes A Village To Educate A Child, will hold its annual gala at The V.I.P. Country Club (600 Davenport Avenue, New Rochelle) from 6:30-10:30 p.m. The gala will raise money for special needs children. Visit takesavillagetoeducate.org for more information.
- Rabbi David Schuck and the officers of the Beth-El Synagogue Center (1324 North Avenue, New Rochelle) will host a Community Leader Wine and Cheese in the Sukkah from 7-9 p.m. Contact email@example.com or call 914-235-2700, ext. 228 for more information.
- The Atelier 811 Gallery (811 North Broadway, White Plains) will host “Faces & Places: Indian & The Far East” from noon-5 p.m. Thursday through Saturday. Visit mjellenbogen.com for more information.
- The New York Presbyterian Hospital/Westchester Division (21 Bloomingdale Road, White Plains) will present “Special Consideration in Addressing the Mental Health Needs of College Students” from 7:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. The staff of the NYP Inpatient College Program will be on hand while guest speakers include Shannon Bennett, PhD, who will discuss “Emerging Adulthood: A New Developmental Period”, and Dr. John Walkup, who will discuss “Anxiety and Depression among College Students: A Developmental Perspective”. Parking is free and breakfast and lunch will be provided. Call Marcellus Jagger at 914-997-5724 for more information.
- The Bronxville Library (201 Pondfield Road, Bronxville) will hold an Estate Planning Seminar from 1:30-2:15 p.m. Visit bronxvillelibrary.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle Down To Earth Farmer’s Market will take place from 8:30 a.m.- 2 p.m. at Huguenot Park/Twin Lakes. Visit http://tinyurl.com/jsbomn4 for more information.
- The Bronxville Women’s Club (135 Midland Avenue, Bronxville) will host its monthly Coffeehouse Music Series event from 8-10 p.m. Visit bronxvillewomensclub.org for more information.
- Jazz pianist Jon Weiss will perform at Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) from 7-10:30 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- St. John’s Wilmot Episcopal Church (11 Wilmot Road, New Rochelle) will host its Family Spaghetti Dinner and Movie Night at 6:30 p.m. Visit www.stjohnswilmot.com for more information.
- The Red Cross will hold a blood drive at The White Plains Presbyterian Church (39 North Broadway, White Plains) from noon-5:30 p.m. Visit wppresby.org for more information.
- The Westchester Italian Cultural Center (One Generoso Pope Place, Tuckahoe) will host a show and discussion about artist Andrea Del Sarto and his work during the Florentine Renaissance. There will also be a reception prior to the 6:30 p.m. presentation. Visit wiccny.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle League of Women Voters will present their “Coffee and Conversation” series at The New Rochelle Public Library from 9:30-11 a.m. The special guest for the event will be The Journal News editorial staff. Visit nrpl.org for more information.
- The Scarsdale Library (54 Olmstead Road, Scarsdale) will host an art/history lecture on “Ghetto, Emancipation, Emigration: The Story of the German Jews, Pt. 1” from 10 a.m.-noon. Visit scarsdalelibrary.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle Downtown BID Grand Market will take place from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. on the New Rochelle Library Green. There will be window painting and mask making from 10-11:30 a.m. Visit newrochellegrandmarket.com for more information.
- The Bronxville Farmer’s Market will take place from 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at Stone Place and Paxton Avenue, Bronxville. Visit bronxvillefarmersmarket.com for more information.
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum (895 Shore Road, Pelham Bay Park) will “A Mansion and Cottage Trolley Tour” from 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m. The tour includes stops at Wave Hill, Van Cortlandt House and the Edgar Allen Poe Cottage. It also includes lunch on Arthur Avenue. Visit bartowpellmansionmuseum.org for more information.
- The Manor Club (1023 Esplanade, Pelham Manor) will host its Octoberfest from 7-11 p.m. There will be German food, live music and dancing. Visit themanorclubofpelham.org for more information.
- Pianist Vassily Primakov will perform at the Bronxville Women’s Club (135 Midland Avenue, Bronxville) at 7:30 p.m. as part of The Midland Music Series. Visit bronxvillewomensclub.org for more information.
- The Scarsdale Woman’s Club (37 Drake Road, Scarsdale) will host a tag sale from 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. on Saturday and from 1-3 p.m. on Sunday. Visit scarsdalewomansclub.org for more information.
- The Symphony of Westchester will kick off its 2016-17 season with a tribute to Mozart at 8 p.m. in Iona College’s Christopher J. Murphy Auditorium (715 North Avenue, New Rochelle). Visit thesymphonyofwestchester.org for more information.
- The St. Paul’s Church and National Historic Site (897 South Columbus Avenue, Mount Vernon) will host Peter Daniel Walker at 1 p.m. as he goes through a history of early American music. Visit nps.gov/sapa for more information.
- The Westchester County Mobile Shredder will be in Tuckahoe at the Lake Avenue Commuter Lot at Main Street from 10 a.m.-1p.m. Visit environment.westchestergov.com/mobile-shredder for more information.
- The Leslie Pintchik Trio will perform at Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) from 7:30-11:30 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The Annunciation-Our Lady of Fatima Church (5 Strathmore Road, Scarsdale) will host a tag sale from 10 a.m.-6p.m. and again on Sunday from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Visit annunciation-fatima.com for more information.
- Temple Israel of New Rochelle’s Brotherhood and Sisterhood will host Bowling Blast at Bowlmor Lanes (47 Tarrytown Road, White Plains) from 8-10 p.m. You must be 21 or older to participate. Visit tinr.org for more information.
- The Hoff-Barthelson Music School (25 School Lane, Scarsdale) will hold a summer camp advisory session to provide parents with a chance to hear about the school’s summer art and music programs. The session will run from 3:30-5 p.m. Visit hbms.org for more information.
- The Steffi Nossen School of Dance (216 Central Avenue, White Plains) will host an informational session about college arts programs from 10-11:30 a.m. Visit steffinossen.org for more information.
- The Westchester Community College Center for the Arts (196 Central Avenue, White Plains) will hold a “Pinhole Camera Workshop” from 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. Visit edu/locations/arts for more information.
- ArtsWestchester (31 Mamaroneck Avenue, White Plains) will host “Rhythms & Cures: Healing Drum Circle with Damon Jackson”. Learn about the ancient therapeutic approach to healing and self-expression. Visit artswestchester.org for more information.
- The Scarsdale Library (54 Olmstead Road, Scarsdale) will host “Meet and Greet a Dog” from 3-4 p.m. Here’s your chance to pet and play with friendly dogs from The Good Dog Foundation. Visit scarsdalelibrary.org for more information.
- The Tuckahoe Farmer’s Market will take place from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. in Depot Square, Tuckahoe. Visit tuckahoe.com for more information.
- Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) will host “Sunday Jazz Brunch” beginning at 11:30 a.m. There will be live music and an extensive menu. The House Coffeehouse, an open mic event for performers under the age of 21, will take place from 6-8 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The Bronxville Chamber of Commerce will host its Children’s Halloween Festival at Leonard Morange Park (Parkway Road, Bronxville) from noon-4 p.m. Visit bronxvillechamber.com for more information.
- The New Westchester Symphony Orchestra will perform at White Plains High School (550 North Street, White Plains) at 3 p.m. Visit newsymphony.org for more information.
- The Ajkun Ballet’s debut production of “Dracula” will take place at the New Rochelle Library’s Ossie Davis Theater (1 Library Plaza, New Rochelle) at 3 p.m. Visit ajkunbt.org for more information.
- The Reformed Church of Bronxville (180 Pondfield Road, Bronxville) will host a free 3-p.m. concert, featuring Glen Roethel, Janie Barnett, David Goldman, Neil Okeson, Teri Scheinzeit, Amy Soucy and Ina May Wool, in an effort to raise awareness about gun safety. Pastor Jim O’Hanlon of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Rye Brook, who founded the Do Not Stand Idly By campaign is scheduled to be one of several speakers. Visit reformedchurch.org for more information.
- The City of White Plains Halloween Frightfully Fun Festival and Parade will take place from 2-5 p.m. on Court Street between Martine and Main Street. Visit cityofwhiteplains.com for more information.
For information about these and other events in our area, please visit http://www.burbio.com/lists/district-88-events.