Dear friends and neighbors,
Where did September go? For most of us, fall has arrived too quickly. Now, however, it is time to go out and enjoy all the wonderful events that the 88th Assembly District has to offer.
Here’s a closer look at some of the events that are taking place in the 88th. Have a good weekend and remember that if you have an event you’d like me to include in the coming weeks, send the information to Paulina@Assembly.State.NY.US.
- Local author Richard Zacks will discuss his latest book “Chasing the Last Laugh: Mark Twain’s Raucous and Redemptive Round-the-World Comedy Tour” at
The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum (895 Shore Road, Pelham Bay Park) at 7:30 p.m. Visit bartowpellmansionmuseum.org for more information.
- The Scarsdale Woman’s Club (37 Drake Road, Scarsdale) will host a “Travel Opening Tea” at 2 p.m. Visit scarsdalewomansclub.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle Chamber of Commerce Woman of Excellence Dinner will take place at Beckwith Point (700 Davenport Avenue, New Rochelle) at 6 p.m. This year’s honorees are Iona College political science professor Jeanne Ziro, WVOX and WVIP vice chairwoman Cindy Gallagher, Holy Name of Jesus director of religious instruction Catherine Francese and News12 anchor/reporter Tara Rosenblum. Visit newrochellechamber.org for more information.
- Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) and the New Rochelle Public Library Foundation will present Cocktails and Conversation: The Murder Mystery Edition at 6:30 p.m. Mystery authors Maggie Barbieri, who writes as Maggie McConnon, and Laura Bradford will be on hand to talk murder mysteries and answer questions. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The Picture House (175 Wolfs Lane, Pelham) will participate in The Manhattan Shorts Film Festival 2016 at 7:30 p.m. Visit thepicturehouse.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle Down To Earth Farmer’s Market will take place from 8:30 a.m.- 2 p.m. at Huguenot Park/Twin Lakes. Visit http://tinyurl.com/jsbomn4 for more information.
- The Manor Club (1023 Esplanade, Pelham Manor) will host “Paint Night”, which will allow guests to explore their artistic side. There will also be a children’s Halloween costume exchange. Bring a costume and take home a different costume. Visit themanorclubofpelham.org for more information.
- The Fall Classic Baseball Card Show returns to the Westchester County Center in White Plains from 2-8 p.m. The show will continue on Saturday (10 a.m.-5 p.m.) and Sunday (10 a.m.-4 p.m.). Visit nyshows.org for more information.
- The Stamp, Coin and Paper Money Show will also return to the County Center from noon-6 p.m. and again on Saturday (10 a.m.-6 p.m.). Visit countycenter.biz for more information.
- St. John’s, Wilmot Church (11 Wilmot Road, New Rochelle) will present “I Married A Witch” at 7 p.m. as part of its classic movie night series. The film is a romantic comedy starring Fredric March and Veronica Lake. Visit www.stjohnswilmot.com for more information.
- Professor Louis Leonini will discuss the origins of the telephone in a 7:30 p.m. presentation entitled “Who Invented the Telephone? Meucci vs. Bell” at the Westchester Italian Cultural Center (24 Depot Square, Tuckahoe). Visit wiccny.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle Downtown BID Grand Market will take place from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. on the New Rochelle Library Green. Visit newrochellegrandmarket.com for more information.
- The Bronxville Farmer’s Market will take place from 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at Stone Place and Paxton Avenue, Bronxville. Visit bronxvillefarmersmarket.com for more information.
- The Westchester County Mobile Shredder will be in Eastchester at Town Hall (40 Mill Road, Eastchester) from 10 a.m.- 1p.m. Visit westchestergov.com for more information.
- St. John’s, Wilmot Church (11 Wilmot Road, New Rochelle) will host a garden party and open house from 1-5 p.m. Light refreshments will be served. Visit www.stjohnswilmot.com for more information.
- The Church of St. Pius X (91 Secor Road, Scarsdale) will hold a Blessing of the Animals at 9:30 a.m. on the church grounds. Visit stpiusxchurch.com for more information.
- The transFORM Gallery (20 Jones Street, New Rochelle) will host a closing reception for the exhibit “Rescue Me”, a rescue benefit event for the Humane Society of Westchester, from 3-7 p.m. Visit newrochellearts.org for more information.
- ArtsWestchester (31 Mamaroneck Avenue, White Plains) will host an opening reception for “Remedy, An Exhibition” from 4-6 p.m. The show explores how art can help society deal with mankind’s ailments. Visit artswestchester.org for more information.
- Gramatan Village (85 Pondfield Road, Bronxville) will host its fourth annual “Salute to Seniors” in a day-long celebration. There will be a lunch, a reception and much more. Visit gramatanvillag.org for more information.
- The Speeder (55+) Art Show will take place at the Bronxville Library (201 Pondfield Road, Bronxville) from 2-4 p.m. The show is sponsored by Bronxville Senior Citizens. Visit bronxvilleseniors.org for more information.
- The Tuckahoe Farmer’s Market will take place from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. in Depot Square, Tuckahoe. Visit tuckahoe.com for more information.
- Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) will host “Sunday Jazz Brunch” beginning at 11:30 a.m. There will be live music and an extensive menu. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- Concordia College’s OSilas Gallery (171 White Plains Road, Bronxville) will host a concert in conjunction with its latest exhibition “The Art of War: Posters from World War I and World War II” at 3 p.m. Visit osilasgallery.org for more information.
- The 2016 Fall Festival will take place at the Weinberg Nature Center (455 Mamaroneck Road, Scarsdale) from 1-4 p.m. There will be animal shows, games, apple-cider making and more. Visit weinbergnaturecenter.org for more details.
- The Iona College Council on the Arts will host an opening reception for its latest show “Small Is Beautiful” at the Brother Kenneth Chapman Gallery (655 North Avenue, New Rochelle) from 1-3 p.m. Visit iona.edu/artscouncil for more information.
- John’s, Wilmot Church (11 Wilmot Road, New Rochelle) will hold a “Blessing of the Animals” at 10:30 a.m. Visit www.stjohnswilmot.com for more information.
- The First Baptist Church of White Plains (456 North Street, White Plains) will also hold a “Blessing of the Animals” at 10 a.m. Visit firstbaptistwhiteplains.org for more information.
- Gramatan Village and the Westchester End of Life Coalition/Live with Care will present harpist Catharine DeLong in a 3 p.m. concert at the Bronxville Library (201 Pondfield Road, Bronxville). Visit gramatanvillage.org for more information.
- The Eastchester Towns Cup golf tournament will take place at Leewood Golf Club (One Leewood Drive, Eastchester) beginning at 9:30 a.m. The tournament is open to all Eastchester residents 18 years and older. Additionally, members of Lake Isle Country Club, Siwanoy Country Club and Leewood Golf Club are eligible to participate. Call the Leewood Golf Shop at 914-793-5821 for more information.
For information about these and other events in our area, please visit http://www.burbio.com/lists/district-88-events.