Dear friends and neighbors,
Can you believe it’s August already? Where is the summer going? Though the summer seems to be moving quickly, there is still plenty of time to enjoy the warm weather and all the wonderful events in the cities, towns and villages of the 88th Assembly District.
Here’s a closer look at some of the events that are taking place in the 88th. Have a good weekend and remember that if you have an event you’d like me to include in the coming weeks, send the information to Paulina@Assembly.State.NY.US.
- The New Rochelle Council on the Arts will continue its “Pop-Up Performances” at the New Rochelle Train Station from 5:30-7 p.m. The concerts will run every Thursday through Aug. 25. Visit newrochellearts.org for more information.
- The Westchester Band, under the direction of Allan Hollander, will perform its final concert of the summer season at Chase Park in Scarsdale at 8 p.m. The concert will be held at Scarsdale High School in case of rain. Visit westchesterband.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle BID Music on the Green Series will host The Nanny Assis Trio at Ruby Dee Park on the New Rochelle Library Green (1 Library Plaza, New Rochelle) at 7 p.m. Visit newrochelledowntown.com for more information.
- Life’s A Beach will perform at noon in Renaissance Park (Mamaroneck Avenue and Main Street, White Plains) as part of the city’s Noon Day Concert series. Visit cityofwhiteplains.com for more information.
- The New Rochelle Public Library (1 Library Plaza, New Rochelle) will host a Friends Super Summer Book Sale from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. on Thursday and Friday. Visit nrpl.org for more information.
- Temple Israel of New Rochelle (1000 Pinebrook Boulevard, New Rochelle) will host a community Shabbat and barbeque beginning at 6 p.m. There will be activities for adults and children following the service and all are welcome. Visit tinr.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle Down To Earth Farmer’s Market will take place from 8:30 a.m.- 2 p.m. at Huguenot Park/Twin Lakes. Visit http://tinyurl.com/jsbomn4 for more information.
- The New Rochelle Council on the Arts Summer Concert Series will continue at the Hudson Park Bandshell in New Rochelle with a 7 p.m. presentation of Rejoice! A Gospel Celebration featuring the Kay Boyd Ensemble. Visit newrochellearts.org for more information.
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum (895 Shore Road, Pelham Bay Park) will host its “First Friday Music & Trolley” program from 5:30-8:30 p.m. Folk singer Scott Test will perform while the trolley will make hourly trips from the #6 Pelham Bay Park subway station. Visit bartowpellmansionmuseum.org for more information.
- Temple Beth-El (1324 North Avenue, New Rochelle) will host a Sing Out Shabbat Service, featuring Rabbi Zach and Lisa Sitkin, followed by a dinner beginning at 6:30 p.m. The services are for every age group. Visit bethenr.org for more information.
- The White Plains Performing Arts Center (11 City Place, White Plains) will present “In The Heights, A New Musical” about a community in the Manhattan neighborhood of Washington Heights. Show times are 8 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and Sunday at 2 p.m. Visit wppac.com for more information.
- Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) will host “Funky Fridays” from 7-11 p.m. It’s Westchester’s premier after-work mixer. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The New Rochelle Downtown BID Grand Market will take place from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. on the New Rochelle Library Green. Visit newrochellegrandmarket.com for more information.
- The Bronxville Farmer’s Market will take place from 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at Stone Place and Paxton Avenue, Bronxville. Visit bronxvillefarmersmarket.com for more information.
- The thrift shop at White Plains Presbyterian Church (39 North Broadway, White Plains) will be open from 9:30-1 p.m. All proceeds will go to local philanthropies. Visit womansclubofwhiteplains.org for more information.
- The Westchester County Mobile Shredder will be in New Rochelle at 515 North Avenue from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Residents can bring up to four file-size boxes of confidential papers to be shredded. Visit http://tinyurl.com/h5he2za or call (914) 813-5425 for more information or to learn about early closure or cancellation.
- The Family Christian Center of New Rochelle will host “A Summer Send Off” at Glen Island Park in New Rochelle from 1-5 p.m. Free backpacks and school supplies will be handed out on a first-come, first-serve basis for children grades K-5. There will also be food, rides, giveaways, music and more. Visit fccnr.com for more information.
- The Tuckahoe Farmer’s Market will take place from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. in Depot Square, Tuckahoe. Visit tuckahoe.com for more information.
- Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) will host “The House”, a teen coffee house, from 5-7:30 p.m. It’s an open-mic experience for people under 25. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
For information about these and other events in our area, please visit http://www.burbio.com/lists/district-88-events.