Dear friends and neighbors,
It’s already mid-July and it seems as if the summer is speeding by. Don’t let it pass you by, though, without enjoying everything there is to see in the cities, towns and villages in the 88th Assembly District. The New Rochelle Downtown Jazz Festival highlights a week of concerts in the area.
Here’s a closer look at some of the events that are taking place in the 88th. Have a good weekend and remember that if you have an event you’d like me to include in the coming weeks, send the information to Paulina@Assembly.State.NY.US.
- The group Gunsmoke will perform at noon in Renaissance Park (Mamaroneck Avenue and Main Street, White Plains) as part of the city’s Noon Day Concert series. Visit cityofwhiteplains.com for more information.
- The New Rochelle Council on the Arts will continue its “Pop-Up Performances” at the New Rochelle Train Station from 5:30-7 p.m. The concerts will run every Thursday through Aug. 25. Visit newrochellearts.org for more information.
- The City of New Rochelle will celebrate its founding by French Huguenots with a 10 a.m. Bastille Day ceremony, sponsored by the New Rochelle Sister City Committee, at City Hall (515 North Avenue, New Rochelle). Visit newrochelleny.com for more information.
- The annual New Rochelle Downtown Jazz Festival will kick off with a performance by Ras Chemash Lamed at Jolo’s Vegan Restaurant (49 Lawton St., New Rochelle). Italian pianist Nico Morelli is also scheduled to perform. Visit newrochellearts.org for more information.
- The Westchester Band, under the direction of Allan Hollander, will perform at Chase Park in Scarsdale at 8 p.m. The concert will be held at Scarsdale High School in case of rain. Visit scarsdale.com for more information.
- The Beth El Synagogue Center (1324 North Avenue, New Rochelle) will continue the 2016 Summer Israel Film Series with a 7:30 p.m. showing of “Partner With the Enemy”, an inspiring story of the relationship between two women, one Israeli the other Palestinian. Visit bethel.org for more information.
- The Westchester Italian Cultural Center (24 Depot Square, Tuckahoe) will host its Cinema Sotto le Stelle Series beginning with an 8:30 p.m. showing of “Se Dio Vuole”. Bring your own chair and be in Depot Square early to get a seat. Visit wiccny.org for more information.
- The city of White Plains will host T-Bone as part of its neighborhood nights series at Chatterton Park (Chatterton Avenue and Harmon Street, White Plains) at 7 p.m. Visit cityofwhiteplains.com for more information.
- The Petting Zoo and Shaun the Sheep will be at Gardella Park (Ferris Avenue, White Plains) at 4 p.m. Visit cityofwhiteplains.com for more information.
- The City of White Plains, ArtsWestchester and the White Plains Performing Arts Center have joined together once again to present Shakespeare in the Park. This year’s production is “As You Like It” and will take place Thursday at 7 p.m. in Turnure Park (26 Lake Street, White Plains). Visit wppac.com for more information.
- The New Rochelle Down To Earth Farmer’s Market will take place from 8:30 a.m.- 2 p.m. at Huguenot Park/Twin Lakes. Visit http://tinyurl.com/jsbomn4 for more information.
- The New Rochelle Downtown Jazz Festival will continue at Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway) when the Brian Carter Quartet and Nico Morelli perform at 8 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The Pelham Arts Center (155 Fifth Avenue, Pelham) will host an Opening Reception for its “Faculty and Student Showcase” exhibit, which will run through Aug. 19, from 6:30-8 p.m. Visit pelhamartscenter.org for more information.
- The White Plains Performing Arts Center (11 City Place, White Plains) will present Willy Wonka Junior as part of its Summer Theatre Academy production series. Showtime is 7 p.m. on Friday and again on Saturday. Visit wppac.com for more information.
- The Generoso Pope Foundation (24 Depot Square, Tuckahoe) will kick off its Summer Movie Series with a showing of Toy Story at 8:30 p.m. Visit gpfny.org for more information.
- The First Baptist Church of White Plains (456 North Street, White Plains) will host a free Game and Grill Night. Bring
some food to share or enjoy the free burgers and hot dogs while playing board and lawn games. Visit firstbaptistwhiteplains.org for more information.
- The Pelham Picture House (175 Wolfs Lane, Pelham) will present “The Music of Strangers” beginning with a 1 p.m. show. There will also be shows at 3, 5 and 7 p.m. with shows throughout the weekend. The film chronicles the story of Yo-Yo Ma and the Silk Road Ensemble, the international music collective founded by the legendary cellist. Visit thepicturehouse.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle Downtown BID Grand Market will take place from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. on the New Rochelle Library Green. Visit newrochellegrandmarket.com for more information.
- The Bronxville Farmer’s Market will take place from 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at Stone Place and Paxton Avenue, Bronxville. Visit bronxvillefarmersmarket.com for more information.
- The New Rochelle Jazz Festival continues with a full day of music at Ruby Dee Park on the Library Green. Scheduled to appear are Jazmyn (noon), The Rocky Middleton Trio (2 p.m.), Blue Haze with special gust Tasty Mike Murphy (5-7 p.m.), KJ Denhart (7-9 p.m.) and the Carl Bartlett, Jr. Quartet (9-10:30 p.m.). Gil Paris will receive the New Rochelle Jazz Festival Award at Jolo’s Kitchen (49 Lawton Street, New Rochelle). He will perform at 8 and 10 p.m. Visit newrochellearts.org for more information.
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum (895 Shore Road, Pelham Bay Park) will host Volunteer Garden Clean-Up Day from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Youth volunteers and children with adult supervision are encouraged to participate. Visit bartowpellmansionmuseum.org for more information.
- The Empire Strikes Back Concert will take place at The County Center in White Plains at 7 p.m. DMX, Swizz Beats, The Lox, Drag-On, and Sean Cross are scheduled to perform. Visit countycenter.biz for more information.
- Jazmyn will perform in the main dining room at Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) at 7:30 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The Scarsdale Library (54 Olmstead Road, Scarsdale) will host a breakfast with playwright and author Delia Ephron at 11 a.m. Visit scarsdalelibrary.org for more information.
- The Tuckahoe Farmer’s Market will take place from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. in Depot Square, Tuckahoe. Visit tuckahoe.com for more information.
- The New Rochelle Downtown Jazz Festival concludes with late-afternoon and evening performances at Ruby Dee Park on the New Rochelle Library Green. Avalanche (4-5 p.m.), Adam Weber Jeruvian Latin Jazz Quintet (5-7 p.m.), Brian Carter Quartet featuring Nico Morelli (7-8 p.m.) and INTZ featuring Ken Geoffrey (9-10:30 p.m.) are all scheduled to perform.
Visit newrochellearts.org for more information.
- The Humane Society of Westchester (70 Portman Road, New Rochelle) will host its 16th annual Dog Wash Fundraiser from 10 a.m.- 3 p.m. Visit humanesocietyofwestchester.org for more information.
- The Bronxville Women’s Club (135 Midland Avenue, Bronxville) will announce the winners of the 2016 Beaux Arts Competitions at a reception from 2-5 p.m. Visit bronxvillewomensclub.org for more information.
For information about these and other events in our area, please visit http://www.burbio.com/lists/district-88-events.