Dear friends and neighbors,
We’re closing out April and welcoming May this weekend and the best way to celebrate is to spend time in the 88th Assembly District. There are plenty of speeches, concerts, ceremonies, dances and movies in our cities, towns and villages to fill your weekend. The weather is supposed to be spectacular, so get out enjoy it.
Here’s a closer look at some of the events that are taking place in the 88th. Have a good weekend and remember that if you have an event you’d like me to include in the coming weeks, send the information to Paulina@Assembly.State.NY.US.
- Retired archivist Ray Geselbracht will speak at The Bronxville Women’s Club (135 Midland Avenue, Bronxville) at 1:30 p.m. He has worked at the Truman Library in Missouri, The National Archives in Washington and has served as the special assistant to the director in Hyde Park, N.Y. Visit bronxvillewomensclub.org for more information.
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum (895 Shore Road, Pelham Bay park) will host a “Garden Art Talk” centering on figures, fountains and peacocks Lachaise Garden Sculptures (1920-35) at 7:30 p.m. Visit bartowpellmansionmuseum.org for more information.
- The Sarah Lawrence College (1 Mead Way, Bronxville) Spring Theatre season continues with a performance of “Uniform Convergence”, a show that chronicles the lives of a 19th century Russian mathematician and a present-day Asian-American math professor. Show times are 7 p.m. on Thursday and Friday. Visit www. sarahlawrence.edu for more information.
- The Chocolate Works in Scarsdale (450 Central Park Avenue, Scarsdale) will host “A Wine and Chocolate Extravaganza” at 6:30 p.m. Visit chocolateworks.com/scarsdale more information.
- The City of New Rochelle will observe Arbor Day with a tree planting in Ruby Dee Park at The New Rochelle Library Green 2-3 PM. There will also be a children’s workshop. Visit newrochelleny.com for more information.
- The St. Paul’s Church National Historic Site (897 S. Columbus Avenue, Mount Vernon) will host a digital presentation with historical commentary followed by a discussion that will explore the National Mall in Washington, D.C. visit nps.gov/sapa for more information.
- The Village of Scarsdale Arbor Day Ceremony will take place at Hyatt Park (167 Scarsdale Boulevard) from 1:30-2 p.m. Contact Josh Ringel at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Operation Prom Dress Giveaway will take place at The County Center in White Plains from 1-5 p.m. and again on Saturday from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Operation PROM provides resources, opportunity and mentoring to students in need. Services are available to children in financial need, those who are homeless, sick, or disabled. School supplies and scholarships are available in addition to our regular donations of Prom dresses and tuxedos. Visit operationprom.org for more information.
- The “Spring Fever Baseball Card Show” will take place at The County Center from 2-8 p.m., on Saturday from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Visit nyshows.org for more information.
- The White Plains Youth Bureau will host its 8th Annual Father-Daughter Dance at the Crowne Plaza (66 Hale Avenue, White Plains) at 7 p.m. There will be dinner and prizes in addition to the dancing. Tickets are available at the White Plains Youth Bureau, 11 Amherst Place, White Plains, Monday through Friday (9:30 a.m.- 7:30 p.m.) For more information please contact Adrienne Rivers at: email@example.com or 422.1378.
- Saxophonist Alex McCabe and pianist Paul Odeh will perform at Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) from 7-11 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The Amato Opera Company will perform, complete with 18th-century costumes and handcrafted masks, at the Westchester Italian Cultural Center (One Generoso Pope Place, Tuckahoe) at 7 p.m. Visit wiccny.org for more information.
- The Sarah Lawrence College Spring Dance Concert, featuring performances by undergraduate and graduate students, will take place in the school’s Bessie Schonberg Dance Theatre (1 Mead Way, Bronxville) at 7:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. Visit sarahlawrence.edu for more information.
- The award-winning Archbishop Stepinac High School (950 Mamaroneck Avenue, White Plains) drama club will present “Sister Act” on Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. Visit stepinac.org for more information.
- The Undiscovered Realm Comic and Toy Expo will take place at the County Center in White Plains from 10 a.m.-8 p.m. and on Sunday from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Visit Undiscovered-Con.com for more information.
- The Symphony of Westchester’s “All Romantic Concert”. Violinist Tessa Lark will perform Antonin Dvorák’s Violin Concerto, op. 53, in A minor at 8 p.m. at Iona College’s Christopher J. Murphy Auditorium. Visit symphonyofwestchester.org for more information.
- The Huguenot Cabaret will take place at the Huguenot Memorial Church (901 Pelhamdale Avenue, Pelham Manor) at 6 p.m. There will be cocktails, a buffet, a silent auction and more in addition to the show. Visit huguenotchurch.org for more information.
- The Rocky Middleton Trio will perform at Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) from 7:30-11:30 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The Symphony of Westchester will present an all-romantic music program featuring violinist Tessa Lark at Iona College (715 North Avenue, New Rochelle) at 8 p.m. Visit thesymphonyofwestchester.org for more information.
- The Music Conservatory of Westchester will hold a special Faculty Concert at Faust Harrison Pianos (214 Central Avenue, White Plains). Visit musicconservatory.org for more information.
- The Scarsdale Library (54 Olmstead Road, Scarsdale) will host “A Taste of Scarsdale … Just Desserts: Satisfying your sweet tooth with master baker Seth Greenberg” from 2-3 p.m. Visit scarsdalelibrary.org for more information.
- The Hoff-Barthelson Music School jazz students will perform at the Scarsdale Library with anyone from the community who wishes to “jam with them”. The performance begins at 2 p.m. Visit scarsdalelibrary.org for more information.
- The West Center Congregational Church (101 Pondfield Road West, Bronxville) will hold its Spring Tag Sale from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. and on Sunday from 12:30-3 p.m. Visit westcenterchurch.org for more information.
- The April’s Child Walk-A-Thon will take place at Rye Playland beginning at 9 a.m. April’s Child, which works to raise awareness about how to prevent child abuse and neglect, serves the City of New Rochelle. Visit http://tinyurl.com/jtwgxfe for more information.
- The Jackie’s Walk 4HD (Huntington’s Disease) will take place at Glen Island Park in New Rochelle at 10 a.m. Visit help4hd-international.org/JHWalk4HD for more information.
- Bicycle Sundays are back on the Bronx River Parkway. The BRP will be open to bikers and pedestrian traffic between the County Center in White Plains and Scarsdale Road in Yonkers between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Visit westchestergov.com for more information.
- The Picture House (175 Wolfs Lane, Pelham) will present a special screening of DARAJA GIRLS: Powerful Beyond Measure at 6:30. The film focuses on the cultural exchange at high schools in Northern California as two Daraja students journey to the U.S. for the first time. Visit thepicturehouse.org for more information.
- The White Plains Performing Arts Center (11 City Place, White Plains) will present “Back To The Garden 1969”, a celebration of Woodstock, at 4 p.m. Visit wppac.com for more information.
- The College of New Rochelle (29 Castle Road, New Rochelle) will host The Strawfest Strawberry Festival from noon-5 p.m. There will be music, vendors, games and attractions and strawberry-themed foods. Visit cnr.edu for more information.
- Scarsdale Synagogue Temples Tremont & Emanu-El (2 Ogden Road, Scarsdale) will host a Songs for Seeds Concert in conjunction with its Mazel Tots Open House from 4-5 p.m. The Song for Seeds is an award-winning children’s music program. Visit sstte.org for more information.
- The Mayfair, an annual community outreach carnival, at Sarah Lawrence College (1 Mead Way, Bronxville) will take place from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Visit sarahlawrence.edu for more information.
- The New Choral Society will host a celebration of American composer Randall Thompson at 4 p.m. at the Hitchcock Presbyterian Church (6 Greenacres Avenue, Scarsdale). Visit newchoralsociety.org for more information.
- The Hoff-Barthelson Music School Master Class Series will present clarinetist Alan Kay in a 6 p.m. concert at the school (25 School Lane, Scarsdale). Visit hbms.org for more information.
- Sound Shore Chorale will present its 38th annual Spring Concert – An All-Schubert Program at 3 p.m. at the Arrigoni Center (48 Mayflower Avenue, New Rochelle). Visit soundshorechorale.org for more information.
- There will be a “Blessing of the Bikes” at the First Baptist Church of White Plains (456 North Street, White Plains) at 9:15 a.m. Reverend Tim Dalton will conduct a short service, asking God to bless each rider and bike for the upcoming riding season. Visit firstbaptistwhiteplains.org for more information.
- The Allegro Singers: Soprano Monique McDonald and Friends will perform at The Eastchester Library at 3 p.m. McDonald will perform arias from famous operas, Neapolitan songs and Broadway standards. Visit eastchesterlibrary.org for more information
For information about these and other events in our area, please visit http://www.burbio.com/lists/district-88-events.