Dear friends and neighbors,
What a wonderful weekend we have ahead of us here in the 88th Assembly District. There is so much to do and see, from music and dancing to lectures and movies. So if you’re planning on heading out and enjoying the expected mild weather this weekend, plan on staying local and taking in all the sights and sounds our cities, towns and villages have to offer.
Here’s a closer look at some of the events that are taking place in the 88th. Have a good weekend and remember that if you have an event you’d like me to include in the coming weeks, send the information to Paulina@Assembly.State.NY.US.
- The Bronxville Women’s Club (135 Midland Avenue, Bronxville) continues its “Coffeehouse” series with performances from musicians Stephen Clair and Miles East beginning at 8 p.m. There will be a special guest performance by Lily Ellinghaus. Visit bronxvillewomensclub.org for more information.
- The Iowa Energy of the NBA Developmental League will square off against the Westchester Knicks at the County Center in White Plains at 7 p.m. Visit westchesterknicks.com for more information.
- Speak with Pelham Weekly/Pelham Plus editor Maggie Klein during her Talk With Maggie Sessions in Pelham. Klein will be at Renaissance Bagel (309 Fifth Avenue) at 8:15 a.m.; at JM Café (129 Wolfs Lane) at 9:30; and Bakery at Four Corners (4668 Boston Post Road) at 10:45. Visit pelhamplus.com for more information.
- Singer/songwriter Zev Haber will perform at the New Rochelle Library’s Ossie Davis Theater at 10:30 a.m. The popular children’s performer has sold-out shows throughout the area. Tickets are free but are on a first-come, first-serve basis. Visit nrpl.org for more information.
- Jazz pianist Dinah Vero will perform in the main dining room of Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) from 7-10:30 p.m. Alvin & Friends will also host a Tango Night featuring Junior Cervila and Guadalupe Garcia from 7:30-11:45 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The Woman’s Club of White Plains (305 Ridgeway, White Plains) is hosting a Legislative Breakfast focusing on “Children and Youth”. Visit http://bit.ly/LegBreakfast2016 for more information.
- International makeup artist Rose-Marie Swift will be at Blue Mercury (49 Pondfield Road, Bronxville) from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. to discuss beauty tips and more. Refreshments will be served. Call 914-779-0009 for more information.
- The New Rochelle Library will host a “Friends Mini Book Sale” from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. The library will also host its latest program “Cook By The Book”, a program that shares thematic recipes, from 2-3 p.m. Visit nrpl.org for more information.
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum (895 Shore Road, Pelham Bay Park) will host a Winter Succulent Garden Terrarium Workshop from 12-2 p.m. Make a garden under glass and take it home. Visit bartowpellmansionmuseum.org for more information.
- Songs for Seeds of Scarsdale will put on a concert at The Westchester (Mall) in White Plains at noon. Songs for Seeds was named as the “Best Music Class” by New York Magazine. Visit songsforseeds.com/scarsdale for more information.
- The Ailey Arts in Education and Community Programs will present a dancing exhibition of modern, West African and jazz as part of the Black History Month celebration at New Rochelle High School’s Whitney Auditorium (265 Clove Road, New Rochelle) from 2:30-3:30 p.m. Contact Camille Edwards-Thomas (914-576-4500) or Candace Pinn (914-712-8128) for more information.
- ArtsWestchester (31 Mamaroneck Avenue, White Plains) will host Fiddling in February: A Book Launch Concert and Square Dance from 7-10 p.m. Visit artswestchester.org for more information.
- The jazz duo Jazmyn will perform at Alvin and Friends Restaurant in New Rochelle from 7:30-11 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The Scarsdale Library’s adult book club will meet at 11 a.m. to discuss “Shame and the Captives”, the story of a WWII prisoner of war camp in Australia. Visit scarsdalelibrary.org for more information.
- A concert of chamber works by composer William Eckfeld will take place at The White Plains Library from 2-4 p.m. Several chamber groups are scheduled to perform. Visit whiteplainslibrary.org for more information.
- The Iowa Energy of the NBA Developmental League will square off against the Westchester Knicks at the County Center in White Plains at 1 p.m. to complete a two-game series. Visit westchesterknicks.com for more information.
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum will host an “Owl Prowl” at 8:30 a.m. Jack Rothman of City Island Birds will lead the search for Great Horned, Saw-whet, Long-eared and Barred Owls, which are often found near the mansion this time of year. Dress warmly. Visit bartowpellmansionmuseum.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle Library will show the film “Billy Strayhorn: A Lush Life” in the Ossie Davis Theater at 4 p.m. as part of its Black History Month celebration. The film tells the story of the great African-American composer. Director Robert Levi will also be on hand for a Q&A. Visit nrpl.org for more information.
- The Alliance Francaise de Westchester (31 Mamaroneck Avenue, White Plains) will host an afternoon of tasting crepes, singing French songs and playing interactive games. Visit afwestchesterny.org for more information.
For information about these and other events in our area, please visit http://www.burbio.com/lists/district-88-events.