Dear friends and neighbors,
Valentine’s Day is almost here and what better way to celebrate with the one you love than planning a beautiful day in the 88th Assembly District. There are plenty of things to do and see in our cities, towns and villages and there are also many places spend some quality time together with your significant other.
Here’s a closer look at some of the events that are taking place in the 88th. Have a good weekend and remember that if you have an event you’d like me to include in the coming weeks, send the information to Paulina@Assembly.State.NY.US.
- Speak with Pelham Weekly/Pelham Plus editor Maggie Klein in her Talk With Maggie Sessions in Pelham. Klein will be at Renaissance Bagel (309 Fifth Avenue) at 8:15 a.m.; at JM Café (129 Wolfs Lane) at 9:30; and Bakery at Four Corners (4668 Boston Post Road) at 10:45. Visit pelhamplus.com for more information.
- There will be a discussion about the assassination of President Lincoln beginning at 2 p.m. at the St. Paul’s Church National Historic Site (897 S. Columbus Ave., Mount Vernon). The discussion will include a connection to St. Paul’s Church. Visit nps.gov/sapa.
- Jazz pianist Jim Farley will perform at Alvin & Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) from7-11 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The New Rochelle Library will host a “Friends Big Book Sale” from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. There will also be a “Mini Book Sale” from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. on Saturday. Visit nrpl.org for more information.
- The Scarsdale Library (54 Olmstead Road, Scarsdale) will show the French film “Breathe” (English subtitles) at 1:30 p.m. in the Scott Room. The film explores female friendships and teenage infatuations. Visit scarsdalelibrary.org for more information.
- There will be a 1 p.m. recognition ceremony of Black History Month at St. Paul’s Church National Historic Site. Baruch College’s Professor Clarence Taylor will lead the discussion. Visit nps.gov/sapa for more information.
- The 41st annual Royal Hanneford Circus will take place at the Westchester County Center in White Plains. They include Cuzin Grumpy’s Pork Chop Revue, Grandma the Clown and the latest of The Royal Hanneford Family of Performers. There will be performances at 10 a.m., 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Visit hannefordcircus.com for more information.
- The Leslie Pintchik Trio will perform at Alvin and Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) from 7:30-11 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The 6th Annual Cupcakes For A Cure will take place at The Westchester (Mall, 125 Westchester Avenue, White Plains) from noon-4 p.m. The best cupcakes from a host of Westchester’s best bakeries will be available with 100 percent of the proceeds going to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Visit facebook.com/events/168488786846741/ for more information.
- The Walkabout Clearwater Coffeehouse will present Charlie King and the Peace Poets in a show featuring musical storytelling and American folk music at the Memorial United Methodist Church (250 Bryant Avenue) in White Plains. Visit walkaboutclearwater.org for more information.
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion (895 Shore Road, Pelham Bay Park) will host the Rivertown String Quartet for a Winter Chamber Music Concert at 4:30 p.m. Visit bartowpellmansionmuseum.org for more information.
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion will also host the opening of The Gilded Age Glamour Fashions exhibit from 6-7:30 p.m. Learn how the Bartow Mansion came to be what it is today.
- The Reformed Church of Bronxville (180 Pondfield Road) will host a chamber music concert from 3-4 p.m. Visit reformedchurch.org for more information.
- The City Center 15: Cinema de Lux (19 Mamaroneck Ave, White Plains) will host a 2 p.m. showing of the Molly Ringwald teen classic “Pretty in Pink” as part of the film’s 30th anniversary celebration. Visit showcasecinemas.com/event-cinema for more information.
For information about these and other events in our area, please visit http://www.burbio.com/lists/district-88-events.