Dear friends and neighbors,
The Super Bowl will be played Sunday evening and I’m sure many of you are looking forward to the big game. There are, however, plenty of things to do and see in the 88th Assembly District this weekend before the big game that will help fill your time leading up to kickoff.
Here’s a closer look at some of the events that are taking place in the 88th. Have a good weekend and remember that if you have an event you’d like me to include in the coming weeks, send the information to Paulina@Assembly.State.NY.US.
- I will be hosting a “Conversation About Aid In Dying” at the Scarsdale Woman’s Club (37 Drake Road, Scarsdale) from 7-9 p.m. It will be a discussion about allowing terminally ill, mentally competent New York adults to voluntarily request and receive a prescription medication to allow them to die with dignity. Visit http://bit.ly/aidindyingtalk to register for the event.
- The Committee for New Rochelle Black History Month will host a College Resource Night at New Rochelle High School’s House 4 Cafeteria from 6-8 p.m. The school will also host author David Banks in the Linda E. Kelly Theater from 6-8 p.m. Call 914-200-3743 for more information.
- The Junior League of Bronxville will hold an informational meeting from 7:30-8:30 p.m. on the third floor of The Christ Church (17 Sagamore Road, Bronxville). Visit jlbronxville.org for more information.
- Head over to Alvin and Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway) for Motown Night with Jazmyn. The jazz/r&b/funk duo will perform between 7 and 10:45 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The Westchester Knicks of the NBA Developmental League will take on the Sioux Falls Skyforce at the County Center in White Plains at 7 p.m. Visit westchesterknicks.com for more information.
- The New York Presbyterian/Lawrence Hospital (55 Palmer Avenue, Bronxville) will conduct a Go Red Women’s Health Screening as part of National Wear Red Day in an effort to raise awareness of heart disease. The event will take place in the main lobby from 11 a.m.- 1 p.m. Visit nyplawrence.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle Library will host the “Friends Big Book Sale” from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. followed by a “Mini-Book Sale” on Saturday from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Visit nrpl.org for more information.
- The St. Paul’s Church National Historic Site (897 S. Columbus Avenue, Mt. Vernon) will present “St. Paul’s and the Presidents”, a program detailing the extensive connection between St. Paul’s and five U.S. presidents from George Washington to Franklin Roosevelt. Visit nps.gov/sapa for more information.
- I will be a judge at the sixth annual adult and teen spelling bee at Scarsdale High School (1057 White Plains Road) beginning at 7:30 p.m. The event is organized by the Friends of Scarsdale Library. Visit scarsdalelibrary.org/friends.
- The Pelham Arts Center (155 Fifth Avenue, Pelham) Chinese New Year Folk Art Event will take place from 1:30-3:30 p.m. Celebrate the Year of the Monkey with dancing and craft workshops. Visit pelhamartcenter.org for more information.
- The Leslie Pintchik Trio will perform at Alvin and Friends Restaurant in New Rochelle between 7:30 and 11 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestuarant.com for more information.
- The Big Brew New York Beer Festival returns to the County Center in White Plains from 4-8 p.m. There will be more than 200 craft beers, food and entertainment. Visit bigbrewny.com for more information.
- The Scarsdale Library will host a Chinese New Year celebration by offering origami and paper cutting with Julie Tang at 11 a.m. Visit scarsdalelibrary.org for more information.
- The Westchester Italian Cultural Center (24 Depot Square, Tuckahoe) will host an Italian Cooking Class for children from 2-3 p.m. Visit wiccny.org for more information.
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum (895 Shore Road, Pelham Bay Park) will host a Victorian Valentine Workshop (1-3 p.m.) followed by a Winter Walk in the Park (3-5 p.m.). Visit bartowpellmansionmuseum.org for more information.
- ArtsWestchester will sponsor “Sew and Style: Fashion Design & Creation for Beginners”, an eight-week program that will show you how to bringing your ideas for clothing designs to life. The 10 a.m. class is at 31 Mamaroneck Avenue in White Plains.
- The Northeast Etsy Artists Association will put on a Valentine’s Day Pop-Up Shop from noon-4 p.m. at the West Elm on 678 Post Road in Scarsdale. A dozen artists will be there to discuss and sell their handmade creations. The show will continue Sunday from noon-4 p.m. Visit facebook.com/NortheastEtsyArtistsAssociation for more information.
- The Symphony of Westchester’s Annual Family Concert will take place from 3-4 p.m. at Iona College’s Murphy Auditorium (715 North Avenue, New Rochelle). The winner of the Symphony of Westchester’s Young Artist’s Competition will also be announced. Visit thesymphonyofwestchester.org for more information.
- The New Rochelle Library will present “Dreams of Love: Great Romantic Songs by the Masters” as a lead-in to Valentine’s Day. Showtime is 3 p.m. at the library’s Ossie Davis Theater. Visit nrpl.org for more information.
- The Annual Westchester Camp and Activities Fair will take place at the Crowne Plaza (66 Hale Avenue, White Plains) from noon-3 p.m. There will be camp directors and staff from more than 50 day, specialty and sleep-away camps in and around Westchester on hand to answer questions about their summer programs. Visit westchestercampfair.com for more information.
- Celebrate Chinese New Year at The White Plains Library during a 2 p.m. presentation. Visit whitplainslibary.org for more information.
- Scarsdale’s Hoff-Barthelson Music School Master Class Series will continue with a 2 p.m. performance by cellist Alan Harris at the Scarsdale Library. Visit hbms.org for more information.
- The Woman’s Club of White Plains (305 Ridgeway White Plains) will host a blood drive from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. as part of its 100th anniversary celebration. The drive is part of “100 Acts of Kindness” that will mark the anniversary. Visit womansclubofwhiteplains.org for more information.
- The Woman’s Club of White Plains will also be hosting a Winter Tea at 2 p.m. Displays of unusual tea pots and services will be shown. Visit womansclubofwhiteplains.com for more information.
For information about these and other events in our area, please visit http://www.burbio.com/lists/district-88-events.