Happy Holidays everyone.
I send out weekly e-mail blasts about the goings on in the 88th District and all the fun things there are to do and see here on the weekends. I realized, though, that not everyone receives my e-mail blasts so I’ve decided to put the contents of the e-mail and the listing up on my blog. And if you’d like to be added to the e-mail blast mailing list, please write to me at Paulina@assembly.state.ny.us. Enjoy.
Dear friends and neighbors,
We are heading into the first weekend of December and the holiday season gets into full swing. Hanukkah begins at sundown on Sunday evening and I’d like to wish those who are celebrating a very happy and healthy holiday.
There will be many events to mark the Christmas season as well this weekend in the 88th Assembly District, including tree-lighting ceremonies, visits from Santa and lots of music.
Here’s a closer look at some of the events that are taking place in the 88th. Have a good weekend and remember that if you have an event you’d like me to include in the coming weeks, send the information to Paulina@Assembly.State.NY.US. Happy holidays everyone.
- The International Gem and Jewelry Show will take place at the County Center in White Plains beginning at noon. The show will run till 6 p.m. and then again on Saturday (10 a.m.-6 p.m.) and Sunday (11 a.m.-5 p.m.). Visit intergem.com for more information.
- The Pelham Picture House, at 175 Wolfs Lane in Pelham, will host an advanced screening of “45 Years”, a thriller, accompanied by a question and answer session with director Andrew Haigh at 7:30 p.m. Visit pelhampicturehouse.org for more information.
- The Village of Scarsdale Tree Lighting and Holiday Festival Ceremony will take place at Boniface Circle beginning at 5 p.m. The Hoff-Barthelson girls’ choir will perform, there will be a visit from Santa and hot cocoa will be served. Visit scarsdalechamber.org for more information.
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum, at 895 Shore Road in Pelham Bay Park, will host a holiday luncheon from 12:30-2 p.m. Illustrator, designer and author Michael Storrings will be signing copies of his book “A Very New York Christmas”. Visit bartowpellmansionmuseum.org for more information.
- Head back to the Bartow-Pell Mansion at 5:30 p.m. for a Holiday First Friday Celebration. The mansion will be decorated for the holidays and the MetropoliTones, an a capella group, will perform from 6-8 p.m.
- The New Rochelle Opera concludes its 30th anniversary celebration with “Amahl and The Night Visitors” at New Rochelle High’s Linda Kelly Theater. There will be a 7 p.m. show on Friday and Saturday. Visit newrochellearts.org for more information.
- Sarah Lawrence College, at 1 Mead Way in Bronxville, will host a performance of “Tommy’s World” in the Frances Ann Cannon Theatre at 7 p.m. Visit sarahlawrence.edu/events for more information.
- The first annual Tombola Gala Fundraiser, hosted by the Westchester Italian Cultural Center, will take place at 6:30 p.m. at 24 Depot Square in Tuckahoe. There will be live music, cocktails, dinner, a raffle and more. Visit Wiccny.org for more information.
- The Hoff-Barthelson Music School Holiday Music Festival will take place on Friday (7-9:30 p.m.), Saturday (10 a.m.-4 p.m.) and Sunday (10 a.m.-3 p.m.) at 25 School Lane in Scarsdale. There will be performances, a boutique, raffles, a silent auction and much more. Visit hbms.org for more information.
- The Hitchcock Presbyterian Church, at 6 Greenacres Avenue in Scarsdale, will host The New Choral Society as it performs Handel’s “Messiah” and “Fastasia on Christmas Carols” from 8-9:30 p.m. and again on Sunday at 3 p.m. Visit hitchcockpresby.org for more information.
- The Bronxville Chamber of Commerce will host the Hometown Holiday Celebration and Tree Lighting Ceremony at Leonard Morange Square along Parkway Road from 5-7 p.m. The Chamber also presents Santa’s Workshop from 5:30-7 p.m. and again on Saturday from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Visit bronxvillechamber.com for more information.
- The Boy Scouts will host a firewood sale at Scout Field in Bronxville, off Midland Avenue. There will be seasoned hardwood for sale in various bundle sizes. Twenty percent of the proceeds will go to The Wounded Warrior Project. Call Bill Chilson at 914-954-2294 for more information.
- Rocky Middleton will perform at Alvin and Friends Restaurant (14 Memorial Highway, New Rochelle) from 7:30-11:30 p.m. Visit alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com for more information.
- The White Plains Reads Book Fair, sponsored by the White Plains Youth Bureau, will take place at the Barnes & Noble on 230 Main Street in White Plains from noon-6p.m. New York Times best-selling author R.L. Stine (The Goosebumps series) will be on hand from 2-4 p.m. to sign books. Visit cityofwhiteplains.com for more information.
- The Town of Pelham annual Tree-Lighting Ceremony and Candy Cane Lane will highlight a big day in Pelham. The day begins at 10 a.m. with Pelham’s Holiday Boutique at Infusion (600 Fifth Ave.). There will be celebrations throughout the day, including a brief parade at 3:30 p.m. when Santa rides down Candy Cane Lane (Fifth Ave.) in a fire truck. The tree-lighting ceremony will begin at 5 p.m. Visit pelham.gov for more information.
- There will be a Holiday Service of Remembrance at The Pelham Funeral Home (64 Lincoln Ave., Pelham) at 3:30 p.m. This non-denominational service is open to all people who are mourning the loss of a loved one this holiday season. Write to Joan Brisson at email@example.com for more information.
- The Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum will host its annual Holiday Family Day from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sonia Manzano, who plays Maria on Sesame Street, will read and sign copies of her latest book, “Miracle on 133rd Street”, at 10:15 a.m. and noon. There will be gifts, crafts, homemade treats and Santa Claus is scheduled to make an appearance. Bartow-Pell will host a more adult-themed Festive Party from 7-10 p.m. There will be cocktails, a buffet dinner, caroling and a live auction. Visit bartowpellmansionmuseum.org for more information.
- The Huguenot Memorial Church Charitable Christmas Tree Sale and Alternative Christmas Market will take place from 7 a.m.-1 p.m. at the corner of Boston Post Road and Pelhamdale Ave. in Pelham. In addition to trees, there will be pine roping, poinsettias and other holiday decorations for sale. There will also be handmade gifts from Sylvia’s Orphanage. Call 914-738-3488 for more information.
- White Plains Mayor Thomas Roach will host a ribbon-cutting ceremony at Ebersole Ice Rink at Delfino Park (110 Lake Street, White Plains) at 1:15 p.m. following a summer-long renovation project. There will be a public-skating session to follow with Frosty, Rudolph and free hot chocolate.
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help-St. Catharine’s will host its annual Christmas Boutique and Wreath Sale from 4:30-6:00 p.m. and again on Sunday from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at 575 Fowler Avenue in Pelham. Call 914-738-5158 for more information.
- ArtsWestchester, at 31 Mamaroneck Avenue in White Plains, will host A Holiday Evening of Gypsy Swing and Swing Dancing from 7:30-11 p.m. Doug Munro and La Pompe Attack will be performing. Visit artswestchester.org for more information.
- The Play Group Theater, at 1 North Broadway in White Plains, will put on a performance of “Our Town” by Thornton Wilder at 8 p.m. and again on Sunday at 2 p.m. Visit playgroup.org for more information.
- The Greenwich Ballet Academy will perform “The Nutcracker” at The White Plains Performing Arts Center (11 City Place in White Plains) at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. and again on Sunday at 2 p.m. Visit greenwichballetacademy.org for more information.
- Tuckahoe’s Winterfest will take place at Depot Square from 5-8 p.m. There will be ice skating, music, a tree lighting, visits with Santa and more. Visit etcoc.com for more information.
- The Greenburgh Nature Center, at 99 Dromore Road in Scarsdale, will host the Yonkers Model Railroad Club from 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. The club will display an extensive display of model trains. Visit greenburghnaturecenter.org for more information.
- The seventh annual Hot Cocoa Run to Benefit MAC Angels and ALS will take place take place in New Rochelle at Fifth and Potter Avenues beginning at 8 a.m. Visit https://runsignup.com/Race/NY/NewRochelle/HotCocoaRun for more information.
- The Bronxville Chamber of Commerce will sponsor Holiday Happy Hour from 3-5 p.m. in the village. There will be in-store specials and complimentary refreshments at participating businesses. There will also be free parking from noon to 6 p.m. in the Garden, Kraft and Avalon Avenue lots. Visit bronxvillechamber.com/holiday for more information.
- The New Rochelle Public Library will host the New Rochelle Arts Association Adolph Grant Award Show all day Sunday and Monday. Visit nraaonline.org for more information.
- The 52nd annual Westchester Musician’s Guild Young Artists Concert will take place in the New Rochelle Library’s Ossie Davis Theater at 2 p.m. Student musicians in grades seven through 12 went through a rigorous and demanding audition process to qualify for a spot in this concert. Visit nrpl.org for more information.
- Tuckahoe’s Winterfest continues from noon-5 p.m. with hayrides, ice skating, food, entertainment and much more. There will also be a Santa Stop from 2-4 p.m. at The Park across from Eastchester Town Hall. Visit etcoc.com for more information.
- The Manor Club, at 1023 Esplanade in Pelham Manor, will host a Victorian Christmas brunch with three performances of “A Charlie Brown Christmas”, performed by the SOOP Theatre Company. The performances will take place 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. and are part of the 50th anniversary celebration of when “A Charlie Brown Christmas” first aired on CBS (Dec. 9, 1965). Visit sooptheatre.org for more information.
For information about these and other events in our area, please visit www.burbio.com/lists/district-88-events.