Governor Cuomo announced his budget proposal for the upcoming fiscal year. Rather than rely on interpretations to the budget, folks can now check it out in black and white on website that provides unprecedented access to the State budget. If you want to take a look at the new budget proposal, you can do so easily by visiting openbudget.ny.gov.
“Open Budget is bringing the people back into government by taking budget data out of government file cabinets and making it available to the public for the first time in an easy-to-access, downloadable form. This will facilitate research, analysis, and innovation,” Governor Cuomo said. “As a first step in my Open New York initiative, Open Budget provides a powerful tool for transparency and accountability, fostering citizen engagement and enhancing the public’s trust in government.”
Here’s a closer look at some of what you’ll find on the site courtesy of the Governor’s office:
- Powerful Budget Lookup Tools: Allowing media, researchers, and the public to easily view and download New York’s budget information to facilitate review and analysis. Tools include:
o Budget & Actuals Lookup: Search and download estimates and actual spending information for the current year and dating back to 1994, shown either statewide for all years or filtered by function, agency, fund type, or financial plan category.
o Appropriations Lookup: Search and download budget appropriations for the current budget year, shown either statewide or filtered by agency, fund type, program or appropriation category.
o Capital Appropriations Lookup: Search and download capital appropriations for the current budget year, shown either statewide or filtered by agency.
- Electronic Access to Current and Historical Budget Data: Single-stop access to current and historical budget information in electronic format with key recent budget documents downloadable in machine-readable and Microsoft Excel formats as available. In addition, fascinating historical documents dating back almost sixty years to Governors Thomas E. Dewey and Nelson Rockefeller are newly available in Adobe PDF format on a single site.
· Charts and Tables: Charts and tables make access to New York’s budget data more impactful by illustrating where New York’s budget dollars come from and how taxpayer money is being spent.
· Easy Downloads of the Current Year Financial Plan: This feature, which will be updated periodically, provides easy electronic access to the State’s financial plan tables – materials that have been requested by researchers and the public in the past and are now made available here proactively.
· Single-stop Access to the Governor’s Executive Budget Materials and other Timely Announcements: Now providing one-stop access to information and materials related to the 2013-14 Executive Budget. Open Budget will provide access to other timely budget materials of interest to the public going forward.